cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CornerStone Extended Wat

Roadtoads
Explorer
Explorer
Purchasing a used RV , 2005 Winnebago Sightseer 29r, dealer pushing to buy warranty from CornerStone RV, what should I do? Any reviews from people?
14 REPLIES 14

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
A lot of people say no, but my extended warranties, both of them have paid for themselves, with no problems filing claims, the only thing they wouldn't pay for was cosmetics, they did pay for a new converter, new fresh water pump, replaced the rear camera, slide gear & motor replacement, new AC and thermostat control.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Fulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
Another thing about the warranty. If you roll it into your RV payments you will end up paying about 3 times more for it due to the interest of the loan.

Just donโ€™t do it.
Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog

2003 Rexhall Aerbus 3550BSL
W-22 Workhorse
2005 Saturn Vue (Mr. Toad)
3.5L V6 Automatic

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dick Gore was fair to me !

Roadtoads
Explorer
Explorer
Thank to all that answered and gave the links helped a bunch. Think we will go with not getting one Thanks again

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
I don't believe in them but a rig at that age may have issues that pop up more frequently than a newer model. Read the fine print. Most of them require an annual inspection of your appliances. Water heater, fridge, stove, etc will each cost $100+. Those are paid out of your pocket and not the warranty. Check on line to see reviews of how they pay claims.

An extended warranty by the dealer should be discounted and price lowered if you decide to buy.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

Roadtoads
Explorer
Explorer
Buying from Dick Gore in Jacksonville, Fla. They have been really easy to work with

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ext warranty on a 13 year old rig? Uhh no.
Don't get suckered into that.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
No , no .
When ya take it in you will find that they will wiggle out of paying and put so many hoops that ya hafta hire an attorney ! Save your money and pay out of pocket !I would be suspect of any dealer who pushes hard on a warranty on a 14 year old RV.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Class A extended warranty 2007
Class A extended warranty 2011

ext warranty- general 2011
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Dealers push basically worthless warranties because they get a kickback for every one they sell. It's shady but it's business. Because it's used, demand a third party inspection before buying it. A 2005 RV will most likely have issues of some sort already. An independent inspection will leverage the price if you still want it.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Tell the dealer you are not interested in the warranty. Then see how quickly the price drops.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
An extended warranty is really an insurance policy. To fully understand what is and is not covered, and what the process is to file a claim, read the actual policy and not the sales brochure. The dealer will push you very hard to purchase as it is a gigantic profit center for them, sometimes even greater than the profit on the sale of the RV!

Remember, never buy insurance for something you can afford to fix/replace yourself. That is why you buy insurance on your house, but not on your toaster. So if you could afford to replace the A/C IF it failed, for example, then this warranty does not represent a value to you.

Of course, there are people who will tell you the extended warranty paid off for them. But the odds are not in your favor. Like any insurance, they merely collect money from lots of people and pay out to few people. The person whose house burned down will tell you they came out ahead on their homeowner's insurance, but how many people buy homeowner's insurance compared to how many people's houses burn down? Get the point?

These extended warranty companies have studied countless repair orders and know what items routinely fail and exclude them from coverage. They exclude coverage of related items, too. So if the oil pump fails in your engine, they will replace the pump, but not the rest of the engine ruined by the failure of the oil pump and lack of lubrication. They also have complicated claims processes and will deny a claim if any step of the claims process was not done correctly.

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
Read the fine print.

+1! Many warranties aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

I think - in general, for most people - you will come out ahead by taking the money you would have spent on the warranty and putting it into a dedicated repair fund that you don't touch for any other purpose.

This presupposes that you have the financial willpower to not touch your repair fund for other purposes. If you don't, then MAYBE an extended warranty is a good idea for you. Maybe.

Or maybe put the money into CDs, where there is a penalty for early withdrawl, as a way of making sure you only touch it in a real mechanical emergency.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Read the fine print.