Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Death Valley NP

er78mph
Explorer
Explorer
Good Afternoon,

I'm planning a trip to Death Valley and never been in that area. I was wondering the best staging area to camp, preferably an hour or so outside the park? I have a 9 month old so would like to limit the miles from San Diego to the park (w/o the little one I would just drive all the way inside the park). We're open to boondocking or can check in to a campsite. Also, should I enter the park on the west or eastern side? Any general knowledge of the area would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance! I have an F150 with a Jayco Jayfeather.
16 REPLIES 16

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am not sure what you mean by a staging area. Also it is only about 5 hours from SD to Deva. Is it really necessary to stop an hour or so earlier? Anyway there are plenty of places to boondock from Baker to Deva. You will be coming in on the Eastern side as the quickest route.

If you really want to cut the driving time, you could spend a night at either Joshua Tree or in the Mojave Preserve. You can boondock in numerous places outside of those areas. I have stayed at the campground in Mojave but typically just boondock in the preserve.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
On the East The Pads Camping Free GPS N36° 20.351' W116° 36.056'
but only 20 miles from NP Furnace Creek NP campground. Check out the town of Pahrump NV
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos