cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Much Cargo Weight??

four22
Explorer
Explorer
How much cargo weight should I figure for a family of 4? Loaded (minus water) but with tools and the like...

The reason I ask is I've seen trailers with cargo capacities right at 1000 pounds and that seems really low to me especially figuring 400 pounds in water if you're dry camping...

I know responses will vary tremendously and the scale is the only truth but just trying to get a rough guess of how much is added to a trailer when its "loaded"
18 REPLIES 18

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
four22 wrote:
How much cargo weight should I figure for a family of 4? Loaded (minus water) but with tools and the like...

Depends on the length of the TT. Longer = more stuff added. Is this just the weight of the cargo and misc. "stuff" that you will be placing in the TT or are you talking about a final scaled weight on top of the factory UVW figure? If you bought a new TT and ordered any options, that will add to the UVW. Propane tanks and battery will add to the UVW. Any modifications or upgrades you do will add to the UVW. Holding tank contents (8.34 lbs/USG) will add to the UVW.

I wanted to determine an accurate weight of everything that would be added to the factory UVW so when I picked up our new 29' TT (in sig. below), I went straight to a scale on the way home. The trailer was 190 lbs more than the UVW which would be due to options such as solid surface countertop, electric awning and electric stab. jacks. and a few more. Wt. of one battery and two propane tanks was not included (approx. 165 lbs).

Then I weighed each and every mod and upgrade I did - shocks, Dexter equalizers, WDH snap-up brackets, water filtration, 2nd TV and some others and the total came to 119 lbs.

Then I went to a scale after the trailer was fully loaded for camping for the two of us for a weekend trip- sewer stuff, chocks, BBQ, kitchen stuff (dishes, cutlery, toaster, food, etc.), clothing, bathroom stuff, couple dozen bottled water, books & DVDs, some tools, etc., etc. The weight of all the cargo added to the TT came to 555 lbs.

So, the total of everything added on top of the factory UVW came to 1029 lbs. The wt. of the cargo was 555 lbs. These weight are very important in our case. Our GVWR is 6800 lbs and when we add 1029 lbs to the 5237 lb UVW, we end up with 534 lbs remaining before we hit the GVWR. If we had more than a couple of the holding tanks full, we'd be over our GVWR - not good. The "advertised" factory CCC is 1563 lbs but is in fact is only 1208 lbs which is rather low.

Going to a scale after you are fully loaded is one of the best things you can do to know where you stand on actual weights vs. factory figures so you will know for sure if you are overloading the frame, axles and/or tires and how much more you can add if needed. Many will claim the weight of cargo you add is in the order of 1500 lbs and higher. If they are indeed only talking about cargo, I just don't understand how they can add 1,000 lbs more cargo weight that we do unless they are including full holding tanks or maybe they have a humongous battery bank, a rolling tool chest or an awful lot of cases of beer.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
In addition to the weight on listed for my RV, I carry water, propane, a generator, tools and hardware items, gas for the generator, water hoses, a compressor, kitchen gear, food, cameras and other hobby gear, luggage, backpacks, folding chairs, a screen house, a change of bedding, a picnic table cover, BBQ grill, etc. I also added weight with two solar panels and upgraded batteries. Cosmetics, personal items and four seasons of clothing are minimal compared with everything else.

Golfcart
Explorer
Explorer
I like to keep my trailer stocked with essentials only, no need to bring 3 sizes of cast iron pans..

But I always say 1k lbs over dry weight is a good place to guesstimate. 1200 if you plan on traveling with a full fresh water tank
2009 Sun Valley Road Runner 16ft
2010 Chevy Silverado 1500

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nose high (within reasonable limits) will NOT overload the rear axle unless you have a very rare rigid frame (non-equalized) suspension!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for posting this question. I was thinking about posting the very same question yesterday.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
Most CCC is calculated with fresh tank and water heater full.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
four22 wrote:
I've seen several manufactures that have capacities of this nature and makes me wonder if people realize what their buying.

Manufacturer carrying capacities are very generalized figures for the most stripped down models.

The numbers the mfr list will give you an idea, but always count of having 20-25% LESS carrying capacity than the brochure/ website specs.

You need to check the sticker on the actual rig, because two trailers of the same model built a week apart might vary by 10%.

Add options like a second battery, a spare time, a bedroom TV, a 15K vice 13.5K AC - and the brochure weight is now 150-250 lbs too light.

Also remember that both the brochure and the sticker on the rig are with empty propane tanks. I've got two 30 lb tanks. That's an extra 60 lbs right on the end of the tongue.

I've found it a necessary task to take the empty rig straight from the dealer to a certified scale.

I weigh the rig with the truck tires on different pads and the trailer on the trailer pad.

I weigh a second time with the trailer hooked up - each axle on a different weight pad and the truck not on the scale.

Then I drop the trailer in the parking lot, and weigh a third time. That gives me the truck/tow vehicle weight.

Subtracting #3 weight from the #1 total weight gives me the total trailer weight.

Checking the front and rear axle weights on the truck in #1 and #3 tells me how much weight is lifted off the front axle when hooked up - and consequently how much braking power is lost from the lighter front axle while towing.

The #2 weight tells me how much load is on the tires - and if one axle is carrying more weight than the other axle.

Subtracting the #2 weight of the trailer from the #1 total rig weight tells me how much tongue weight the truck is carrying, and if I am close to exceeding the TRUCK Carrying Capacity with the combination of the tongue weight, the weight of my wife and I, the weight of all the stuff I carry in the truck in an attempt to keep the weight out of the trailer.

Since we are full-timers - I weight at least once a quarter - and find out how much weight the rig has gained and we need to get out of the rig.

I've twice had the rig weighed at the Escapee's Rainbow's End Park in Livingston, TX - where each individual wheel is weighed.

The first time, I discovered the rig was 200 lbs heavier on the road side than the curb side. So I moved the way we set some stuff after the slides are in and we are setting up to tow.

A nose high towing attitude on the trailer can overload the rig rear axle, just as a nose down slant can overload the front axle.

Toy haulers are really susceptible to overloaded rear axles, and blowouts on the rear axle tires.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

four22
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:

By the way that 7600 is the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR)and not the carrying capacity. The carrying capacity will be 7600 minus the actual scaled weight of the trailer.
Barney

Correct. I meant total weight (gvw) of trailer. We're saying the same thing only differently...:S

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
four22 wrote:
Snip...

This said trailer also has ST205/75R14C tires on it... which are rated at 1760lbs max load. My math tells me that the total carrying capacity of the trailer (7600) exceeds the capacity of the tires alone (7040).

You are forgetting that some of that weight is being carried by the tow vehicle in the form of tongue weight. In this case at least 760lbs and probably closer to 1000.

By the way that 7600 is the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR)and not the carrying capacity. The carrying capacity will be 7600 minus the actual scaled weight of the trailer.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

four22
Explorer
Explorer
Heres an example. It would be a consideration except for the cargo capacity. I KNEW that would be too light.

Click Here

I've seen several manufactures that have capacities of this nature and makes me wonder if people realize what their buying.

This said trailer also has ST205/75R14C tires on it... which are rated at 1760lbs max load. My math tells me that the total carrying capacity of the trailer (7600) exceeds the capacity of the tires alone (7040).

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
four22 wrote:

The reason I ask is I've seen trailers with cargo capacities right at 1000 pounds and that seems really low to me especially figuring 400 pounds in water if you're dry camping...

I know responses will vary tremendously and the scale is the only truth but just trying to get a rough guess of how much is added to a trailer when its "loaded"

Depends on the size type of the trailer, 1,000# payload on a popup is a good amount, 1,000# on a 32' 5er, isn't going to cut it.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
it would help if you posted the trailer models you're considering.

realize that that cargo capacity number has the weights of the battery, water, propane and options in that number, along with actual cargo.

our CCC number was reduced by around 500lbs, as it sat on the dealer's lot, from the weights of those items above.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
IMHO, impossible to guess. Only way I know of is to load up for a trip and go weigh the rig.
+1.

In our case we (wife and myself) have added 400# of gear to the TT (some specific tools, games, pots/pans, cleaning supplies, towels, some clothes, mods to the TT..etc.).

For a week trip we'll bring approximately 100# of personal gear, often that ends up split between back seat of truck and TT.

Food/drinks maybe 100# we usually stow beverages in a cooler in the truck so that's not in the TT.... probably mostly beer 😉

As you can see.. it varies... greatly..
2015 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7, 3.93
2013 Econ 16RB TT

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anyone new to this I always say to add between 12-1500 lbs to the dry weight. I would never by a trailer with a small CCC except for a very small TT or a PuP. My current trailer has a 4100lb CCC. I have scaled it at 9200lbs loaded for a week long trip. It dry weight is 7100lbs. I do pack more than the average person only because I have the ability to do it.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!