cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

May purchase Roadtrek with odometer in kilometers

MagicGenie
Explorer
Explorer
Newbie to RV'ing and we're on the brink of purchasing a Roadtrek but the odometer is in kilometers and we'll be mostly traveling in the US. I'm looking for opinions on whether this would be too much annoyance to buy this unit. It's a 2001 model Popular 200. Is it possible to have the odometer switched to miles?
Thank you!
Jean
20 REPLIES 20

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
pawatt wrote:
GPS works great, that's all I use.

And that's a fact Jack!
I just had a verbal scrum with VW (no diesel :-))regarding the variance of the digital speedometre from the OTG speed indication from my Garmin. VW indicated speed at 110KPH is actually 103KPH per the Garmin. The VW speedometre canNOT be re-calibrated, I am told. Not sure I believe that! Their somewhat patronizing response was that the calibration was intentional so that I would be less likely to get a moving citation. Like I need another Big Brother! The low calibration also works well for collecting one finger salutes and that is truly thrilling!

To the OP:

Has the vehicle been licensed in the US. Not sure about the speedo. Not calibrated in metric will not be importable to Canada until that is fixed. Does the reverse apply in the US? Ignoring the 15 year old rule.
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
GPS works great, that's all I use.
pawatt

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
It most likely has the option to do so right in the on-board computer. I'd ask the dealer or call Roadtrek.

A 2001 model will not be adjustable with an on board computer. That is no big deal. There should be smaller numbers on the speedometer that will be in miles per hour, just like USA speedometers have small numbers for kilometers per hour. For a quick conversion, just multiply the kilometer per hour by .6 for the miles per hour. Example 60 kilometers per hour times .6 equals 36 miles per hour.

If the unit is everything you want, then do not let the kilometers per hour speedometer kill the deal.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
The readout is digital? Not mechanical? If so it should be reprogrammable.
If I'm remembering right that year the chassis were Dodge based, if so the reprogramming would be done by a Dodge dealer.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
just put a garmin GPS on the dash and read the MPH there. I do that anyway as it is more accurate than the vehicle one.
bumpy

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
It most likely has the option to do so right in the on-board computer. I'd ask the dealer or call Roadtrek.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]