cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nervous about ending up with a mass produced junk box.

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
First timer ready to go to Hershey next week.
Looking into 27'-31' BH TT.

Reading & researching up the wahzoo for weeks now.

Floorplans, weight, towing, tow vehicle, ratings, GCVR, GWR, hitches, appliances, power, water, awnings, slides, hookups, dumping, aluminum or fiberglass, maintenance & storage, tires, cover, space to store at home, ect. .....aaaaaahhh!

Once I got past all the how to's, what to's and pretty surface stuff I got looked into construction and manufacturing.

Watched the Jayco speed build video on youtube and my jaw dropped.
It looks like a mass produced speed built junk box!

Reading thread after thread leads me to believe the following, whether it is true or not:

- Most TT are made this way.

- This is the industry standard, quality control sucks and that's what dealers are for.

- Reviews can be found on every manufacturer where some say they are horrible and others just love them.

- Repairs are part of owning an RV, suck it up and deal with it.

- Maintenance is key and due diligence will prolong the inevitable.

- Water damage is a 'when' not an 'if'.

So am I being paranoid?
64 REPLIES 64

susan-y
Explorer
Explorer
You summed it up perfectly. Now choose your trailer the same way you have chosen the people in your life. Some look flashy but feel kind of cheap. Some look solid but have flaws you can't overlook. Then you'll step into one and you will smile. Spend some time looking at that one, if it passes muster take it home.
[purple]Life looks better through a windshield.
[/purple]
2008 Winnebago View

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Getting a relatively trouble free unit entails due diligence on your part which includes but is not limited to a careful pre purchase inspection of EVERYTHING and making doibly sure the selling dealer fixes all the issues prior to you taking delivery. Leave no stone unturned.

Far as water damage down the road, it don't ever have to happen if you maintain the caulk and seals and store the unit in the off season in a protected enclosure, or cover it with a suitable tarp or cover when not in use.

Hard items like hot water heaters and fridges and ac units and furnaces require additional maintenance and do wear out eventually.

My present unit has been basically trouble free but I was careful about one, the brand I bought, two, my pre delivery inspection and correction of any issues and three, continuing maintenance.

Keep in mind always that the more complex a unit is, the more issues can arise. Things like electronic entertainment centers, fireplaces, electric awnings and zoned ac can all fail and eventually will.

Myself, I take it as camping so I leave the 'convenience' stuff at home. My units are basic, no frills units. It's camping, not condo living on wheels.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
So rather then start a "Which manufacturer has the best rating" thread, what is a potential TT buyer to do in trying to identify a *somewhat* better quality rv?

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I slightly disagree with these two:

- Maintenance is key and due diligence will prolong the inevitable. Yes, almost everything wears out.

- Water damage is a 'when' not an 'if'. With inspection and repair, can be avoided but few do enough. I'm not in the few but I try.

If you want to go RVing...there is no perfect rig. I love the look and quality of Airstreams but at their price, weight and lack of slide, I said no.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
No, I think that about sums it up.
Some are certainly better than others but none of them are the Lexus or Mercedes of trailers.