cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Guy gets 1st trailer now what do....

ninjagrosser
Explorer
Explorer
New guy got his first trailer now what do I stock it with other than the obvious kitchen, bath, bedding supplies etc? Items you veterans wouldn't go without? Items you find to be extra helpful, neat gadgets etc.? Thank you all in advance for your valuable advice, it is appreciated!
28 REPLIES 28

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
First aid supplies.

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
The one item I haven't seen mentioned directly in a post, and I'm addicted to using - disposable gloves.

Always get used while dealing with gray/black water equipment and valves
Sometimes get used when using public restrooms
Typically get used as a cover for my hitch ball

There's a box in the TT and there's a stash in a utility box within reach of the back window of the TV.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
ninjagrosser wrote:
New guy got his first trailer now what do I stock it with other than the obvious kitchen, bath, bedding supplies etc? Items you veterans wouldn't go without? Items you find to be extra helpful, neat gadgets etc.? Thank you all in advance for your valuable advice, it is appreciated!

You will need a hose to fill your fresh water. If dry camping and filling the tank, this may be your garden hose (and left at home); if hookups, it may be a hose you take to connect to the water outlet at the site.

You will need a dump kit - sewer hose, rinse garden hose, connectors. If you use your toilet, you will need this regardless of how you camp.

Flashlights - Not every place will have outdoor lighting. In addition, if you breakdown on the side of the road, etc., you'll need a light to repair by. A few of different styles (torch, worklight, table light, mini, etc.) is best.

Basic toolbox kit - start with the basic: screwdrivers, ratchets, wrenches, pliers, multimeter, duct tape, electrical tape, etc. As you go, you will add to this with more specialized items.

Everything else is optional, dependent upon how you RV, what type of places you go, and your own personal wants and needs.

As you go, you will add a lot of items to your "must have" supply. Much of that will end up being "never even touched except to move out of the way". Every year, go through your supplies and pull out those that are dead weight.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II
All great suggestions ....BUT! What you carry will also depend on ... what type of RVing your doing @ the time....
1. Dry camping @ a FSCG for 3-4 days at a time or boondocking out in the middle of nowhere or
2. staying @ a FHU campground whether short term or traveling the country
Each is different items needed & used.
I change stuff in & out of the RV depending on if we're dry camping short term or traveling. Just something you'll have to figure out for each trip.
Janet & Milo ...47 fantastic yrs 2gether :B
Mona Yorkie & Buddy our beloved Beagle (both in spirit)
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26sab

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker ๐Ÿ˜‰

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
A note pad and pencil.

A good credit card.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

RVnRobin
Explorer
Explorer
Things for comfort!
Beer
Cigars
Hot dog roasting sticks
Matches for campfire
Comfortable outdoor folding chairs
A companion

Everything else is optional
๐Ÿ™‚
So much to experience, so little time.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I tried answering this from the perspective of absolute essentials for a first trip here:
Newbie/First Trip Essentials

From there, it is all personal preference. We stock our camper like it is an apartment (including extras for guests).
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
path1 wrote:
Put together a list of reference of service/owner manuals so they can either help figure out they work or know what to order if something needs replaced. This will also help you put together a maintenance program for your rv.

I try to find copies of all the equipment manuals on-line and put them on my laptop. PDF files, not links, in case I don't have Internet access.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
Less in not more,
More is more,
Fill it until you can't get anymore,
Once you find that you have more than enough
take out some more,
but leave room for S'mores.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

Heavy_Metal_Doc
Explorer
Explorer
We are new, as of this past fall, and we have found the one item we keep handy all the time is the tablet and pen!
We have 2 lists running all the time - the "must get" category (obvious) and the "like to try" list for stuff we might buy and add to the TT if we find it for the right price.

The two latest items I hit on where safety things - warning triangles and flares to pack in the TV. Wasn't as concerned about it when it was just vehicle on the road, but the thought of an emergency stop at a less than optimal spot on the side of the road with this "house" behind me has me adding those to the our supplies.

ninjagrosser
Explorer
Explorer
Good sound advice, which is why I'm asking you veterans!!! Thanks again and keep em coming!

rfryer
Explorer
Explorer
Skips post is spot on. Some people camp with FHUโ€™s and take all stuff on their patio along. They โ€œneedโ€ that. I mostly dry camp or boondock and donโ€™t even carry a tv or electronics. My style is closer to tent camping than RVing.

I carry just enough tools, testers, parts and supplies to do minor repairs on my TT if something fails. I carry a water pressure regulator, board games and cards, folding chairs, a very small portable barbeque grille, a plastic picnic table cover and clamps, and leveling blocks. I donโ€™t carry electrical appliances, outdoor rugs, black tank chemicals and a myriad other gadgets and supplies the suppliers think I โ€œneedโ€.

You could fill a couple of semi trucks with all the junk the RV stores suggest you take, 98% of it useless and at best future yard sale items. Start out with a minimum and stay close to home on the first couple of trips. You can always run to the store if you really need something. Take a tablet and pen along and record what you needed and didnโ€™t bring and what you brought and didnโ€™t need. Even if youโ€™re thousands of miles from home and need something a quick stop at a store will get it. Donโ€™t try and anticipate every item you think you might need.

Moved from Forum Technical Support

ninjagrosser
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Less is MORE!

We FT'd and found that only the basic essentials were really needed.

Barstow by Daggett? Last yrs. of my working life were at the power plant

Yes, Barstow by Daggett...