cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Problem starting

mhb1382
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 92 winnebago 34 ft diesel pusher. On my way to zion park in utahlast month I stopped in vegas for lunch. When I came back I could not start the engine. U can hear a click but no sign of cranking. I tried the srew driver trick on the solenoid it worked so I ran two wires to one of the storage compartments so I dknt have to crawl under the coach every time and finished my two week journey. When I got home I lut a new starter but still have the problem on not getting anything except clicks and no starting. Calling for the experts and the ones who had same problem to please advise and help. Even a suggestion is greatly appreciatdd. Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depending on the year, make, model and engine there may be one or two solenoids and there may be other relays involved in the starting process (Will do the "other relays" later)

For example.. On a car my daughter once owned there was a recall.. Seems the starter solenoid pulled enough current to set the ignition switch on fire. So they put in what is called a "Pilot Relay" (A smaller relay that keys a much larger relay (Solenoid) that causes something to work) Some vehicles are designed that way from the drawing board.

It may be the pilot relay you are hearing, but if it's not making contact.

Page 2.

The "other" Epically in a motor home you might have relays for several devices on the ACCESSORY board, and there may even be an automatic "Disconnect" Solenoid all of which click when you start the ride.

That said: Knowing how to "Work around" a failure.. VERY IMPORTANT, and it appears.. You know.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like a bad connection to me. Check the tightness of all nuts on all battery cables...including the cable to the solenoid. We had this problem when we were on our Alaskan trip...took two days to determine that the nut on the cable connection to the starter was very loose. Tightened it up, and never a problem since.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
The starter solenoid relay probably is mounted away from the starter on the frame.
I had to replace mine for the same reason.
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have a handheld meter?

The clicks you hear are probably the starter solenoid relay opening and closing. This can happen from a dirty/failing solenoid relay or lack of enough power to keep the relay closed. First step would be to measure battery voltage and check connections to make sure everything is clean and sound. If the battery is measurably good, the relay has failed and a new one is the remedy. A two post solenoid is still under $10, AFAIK.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton