cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane filling

hasheel
Explorer
Explorer
My motorhome sat for 2 years. When I went to fill the propane tank, the air bleeder wasn't open at first. Now we have a propane smell in the rig. The smoke detector goes off. I opened the air bleeder and nothing but air comes out. I had it open for about 5 minutes. What went wrong, and how do I fix it?
Without geography, you're nowhere
2017 Rpod 180
07 Chevy Colorado 4X4
Equalizer
4 REPLIES 4

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
hasheel wrote:
My motorhome sat for 2 years. When I went to fill the propane tank, the air bleeder wasn't open at first. Now we have a propane smell in the rig. The smoke detector goes off. I opened the air bleeder and nothing but air comes out. I had it open for about 5 minutes. What went wrong, and how do I fix it?

THere is no such thing as an Air Bleeder and there is no air in the tank to bleed.. Think about this and you might figure it out

Tank contains Propane (At least if it was properly purged at original fill that is the only time there is air in it).

Valve is called the Visual Overfill Indicator Valve.

And it bleeds PROPANE... Not air.. but PROPANE.. Either gas or liquid but it is PROPANE... When it bleeds white (Ice Crystals) that is Liquid Propane coming out.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

hasheel
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your help. Propane tuned off RV aired out. Having it checked
Without geography, you're nowhere
2017 Rpod 180
07 Chevy Colorado 4X4
Equalizer

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Stop whatever you are doing.
Close any bleeder valves you have opened.
Close service valve (vapor) on tank
Air out rv

Then read this.........Propane 101
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
hasheel wrote:

Your propane tank does not have an "air bleeder". The valve is actually the "fixed liquid level gauge" that's used to determine liquid propane has reached the 80% full point when the escaping gas turns to liquid as the tank is filled. Unless the tank has been left with an open port, there should not be any air in it. What can occur over time though, is the mercaptan that's added to the propane to give it its distinctive odor can deteriorate, leaving only the odorless propane. I'd suggest having the system professionally checked for leaks before using the RV or lighting any appliances.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate