cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recommendations for towing: dolly vs. toad

Shep32413
Explorer
Explorer
We recently purchased our class c motor home and a new 2016 Honda Fit for towing behind it. Before we proceed with purchasing and installing a towing apparatus, we would like opinions on whether to tow using a dolly or 4 down.

Thanks for any tips/recommendations!
11 REPLIES 11

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
We had a dolly and had no issues with it. Worked great. Got rid of it when we had no car to tow any longer. WE traded in one of our cars recently and it can be towed either way. Priced out to see what it would cost for flat towing set up. Was quoted over $4000 by two different dealers. Got one of the dealers that said they would install if we bought the parts ourselves. Was gonna cost right at $3000. We can get a tow dolly like we had before for $1800 that has surge brakes and more than likely what we will do.

Not sure about the statement of flat towing being safer. Have heard more stories of cars being messed up flat towing than on a tow dolly.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I tow my (2012) Fit four-down. If I had to mess with a dolly, I wouldn't tow. As it is, I find towing puts enough limits on where I can go with the RV that even four-down I do it for only a few specific circumstances, like taking the motorhome somewhere to park it for a week or more.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Google Remco Towing USA, go to the STORE link which Google fines, On the left side of the screen is a form, Fill in the Honda's vital statistics (make, Model, Engine, Transmission) the main frame then tells you IF it can be towed 4 down, If it can be modified to tow 4 down, or if it must be dolly or trailed.

If it can be towed 4 down, I suggest that method. Some tow bars, Like my Blue Ox (Roadmaster also makes some like this as well as other) stow on the MH when not towing (others (roadmaster makes these too) stow on the car, Do not like those) and the cheapest "A" frame, stows .. Wherever you stow it.

Using a telescoping arm type like I have it is very easy to hook up and unhook, No trailer to stow, Just the arms which stow on the RV.

With the proper Brakign system ALL WHEELS assist when stopping, This is important..

What more can I say.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
You can also back up with a car on a dolly, .

From the Acme Tow Dolly FAQ's:
Can I back a loaded dolly?
Yes and no. In order to back a loaded dolly the RV, the dolly, and the car on the dolly all must be aligned and straight to begin with. Lock out the the dolly brake system. At some point the dolly and the towed car will begin a divergent path that cannot be corrected. At some point damage to the dolly tongue will occur. I have seen one customer back his loaded dolly 50 feet here at the factory. Just be careful.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
DSDP Don wrote:
You don't say which Fit you bought. The 2016 Tow Guide says only the stick shift model is towable. Personally, I like to tow four down. I have a bad back and knees and the extra work of attaching the car to a tow dolly or moving one around a campsite is something I would dread doing.

I also believe that in the future, fewer cars will be towable 4 down and dollies will gain popularity. You can also back up with a car on a dolly, but after 35000 miles of towing 4 down, I never got caught in a situation where I couldn't drive forward.

It's not generally true that you can back up with a car on a dolly, for much the same reason that you can't with a car being towed four down or when double towing (i.e. two trailers). A dolly setup adds an additional pivot point besides the tow ball connection. If it didn't pivot, it would not be able to go around corners without a lot of tire dragging.

Nomadac
Explorer
Explorer
Do a Search on this topic as it has been discussed numerous times
Arnie
2003 Travel Supreme MH
38KSO1 Cummins ISC 350HP
2004 Honda Pilot w/SMI Air Force One Brake Sys.
1963 Pontiac Grand Prix 20' Enclosed Car Trailer

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
You don't say which Fit you bought. The 2016 Tow Guide says only the stick shift model is towable. Personally, I like to tow four down. I have a bad back and knees and the extra work of attaching the car to a tow dolly or moving one around a campsite is something I would dread doing.

I also believe that in the future, fewer cars will be towable 4 down and dollies will gain popularity. You can also back up with a car on a dolly, but after 35000 miles of towing 4 down, I never got caught in a situation where I couldn't drive forward.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hope you checked to see if your new car can be towed 4 down before purchase otherwise you will be limited to a dolly. Dolly's are good if you want the opportunity to tow different cars without having to modify the car. The main drawback to Dolly's is its one more thing to keep track of, and deal with at the campsite. Some don't find this to be a problem. Towing four down entails a lot of towed car setup, auxiliary braking systems, and alterations to the car. Some setups more than others. But after you do that the daily activities regarding towing are simpler. Keep mind when you change cars you will go through the setup again.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a site you can use to see if your car can be towed 4 down or if that option is eliminated: http://towingworld.com/resources/2015DinghyGuide.pdf
If you can, our experiences doing it both ways has showed us that 4 down is by far our preferred method. Much simpler, quicker and IMO safer way to do it.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have a CVT (automatic) Fit, you must use a dolly. It cannot be towed four down. The earlier (2013 and older) automatic Fits had a different transmission, not a CVT, that could be towed four down, but the current generation can not be towed that way.

If you have a manual transmission, it most likely can be towed four down; double-check in the owner's manual under recreational towing. Most people seem to agree that towing four down is more convenient. It may cost a bit more to get set up initially and it definitely is less readily adaptable to other vehicles, but you do have a lot less extra equipment to worry about and hooking up and unhooking is less involved.

If you do tow with a dolly, consider getting an aftermarket hitch for the Fit so you can use it to tote the dolly around if you need to move it from the campsite.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
4 Down is the easiest and safest way. Perhaps a little more upfront cost for setup, but better overall in the long run. IMHO Also some vehicles cannot be towed 4 down, and some cannot be put on a dolly. Be sure you know where yours falls.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad