cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Starting my research

Jeff10236
Explorer
Explorer
So, a few years ago I sold my pop-up. While I loved the pop-up my parents had when I was a teen (in the 80's), my middle aged body didn't exactly love putting up a pop-up by myself. My middle aged, diabetic bladder also likes the idea of travelling with my own, ready to go, bathroom... just find a place to stop.

Originally, my idea was that, when I was ready, I'd get a motorhome instead of a trailer this time. However, now I'm thinking a lightweight trailer or a hybrid may be the way to go.

When the outdoors and camping IS my entire vacation, I'll take a tent. For me, camping in a camper is about an addition to the experience, not the whole experience. Even in a tent, I often use my camp site as a base of operations to use while sightseeing and checking out the area. Being in a campground and in the outdoors is just the cherry on top.

So, travelling with just a motorhome and staying in the RV park or campground like many do is not an option for me.

I had thought I'd get a motorhome and tow behind my (eventual) motorhome, but neither of my cars can be towed 4 down. My Sonata would need a dolly, my electric Ioniq would need a full trailer. So, I don't see it being any easier than an SUV or truck with a trailer, and likely it would be a bit more complicated.

Now that I have my electric car and I am living with 2 cars, I don't need one car that does it all. That was the biggest thing that made a trailer seem like the wrong choice... living with lower MPG for daily driving (and I drive a lot) so that I can camp on some weekends and on vacations. However, now that I have committed to two cars (having an electric only isn't quite convenient enough yet), why not the electric for day to day driving and a truck or SUV for towing, trips, and occasional other drives?

So, those of you with experience with different camper types, which is an easier set up, and which is easier on the road?
  • A motorhome with a car towed on a dolly or trailer
  • A truck or SUV with a lightweight trailer
  • A truck or SUV with a hybrid
  • A small Class C or a Class B that is small enough to drive around for the sightseeing but needs to be hooked up/unhooked every time I want to come and go from the site
Tow Vehicles: 2016 Kia Sorento LX V6 (sold)
Other vehicles: 2019 Hyundai Sonata Sport, 2021 Hyundai Ioniq EV (a hatchback so great for tent camping, but needs an electric hook up to charge the car)
Camper: 2003 Starcraft 2406 (sold)
Several tents
15 REPLIES 15

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Class C and your bev.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.