cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Teflon tape - - - well, of course !!

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Soon after taking delivery on our Mother Ship, I had occasion to replace the aerators in the faucets, as they were clogged and restrictive. Couldn't find the type that can be disassembled and cleaned so I got the replaceable type.

Anyhoo, I noticed some standing water just underneath the faucet handles so I got some teflon tape and sealed the threads. Problem solved.

I don't know why I didn't think about this in the very first place, as I know better. But now at least I have it in my RV toolbox.

Knowledge is knowing that tomatoes are a fruit. Wisdom is not putting them into a fruit salad.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.
20 REPLIES 20

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
If it moves and shouldn't, Duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, WD-40.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
Biker1mike wrote:

There is a difference.

White- single density, should only be used on NPT threads up to 3/8 inch in diameter.
Yellow โ€“ double density, often labeled as โ€œgas tapeโ€
Red of Pink โ€“ triple density, required on all joints 1/2? or larger.
Green โ€“ oil Free PTFE tape, required for use on all lines carrying oxygen (i.e. โ€“ medical oxygen or welding oxygen lines).

Thanks for that. I've wondered about the difference, but was too lazy to look it up. I just used the white everywhere but gas lines.
I feel like if there's a gasket/o-ring in the union, teflon tape isn't necessary. If it gets past a gasket, it's gonna leak. I had a discussion about this some years ago because my buddy was putting teflon tape on faucet supply lines, the braided, stainless hose style that has a cone-shaped gasket in the connections. He did't see it my way and still, 18 years later, puts tape on those joints. Seems like a waste of time and material. I know it sounds trivial, but when there's a ton of other stuff to be done to finish the job, it's hard to watch a guy wrestle the tape while laying under a sink. Same thing with a slip-fit on the p-trap. If it gets past the gasket, which is a compression-type affair, it's gonna leak. I can see using it with dissimilar metals (galvanic corrosion), but not compression joints in plastic.
'13 F250XL SC gas 4x4 8', Camper & Plow packages, StableLoads, LT285/65R-18 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure, 18x9 Ultra Motorsports "Phantom" wheels
'12 Wolf Creek 850 TC Coleman Polar Cub 9.2k A/C, 90 watt solar, dual propane & batteries, Maggie Rack

jamway
Explorer
Explorer
Biker1mike wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
is there really a difference between gas tape and other? or is it just a gimmick to make stores stock twice as much.
bumpy

There is a difference.

White- single density, should only be used on NPT threads up to 3/8 inch in diameter.
Green โ€“ oil Free PTFE tape, required for use on all lines carrying oxygen (i.e. โ€“ medical oxygen or welding oxygen lines).

Maybe the oxygen folks where I get my two bottles filled and tested don't know this. They both have white tape on the threads. Oh well it seems to work fine.
Happy Camping

2004 2500 CTD HO LB 4X4 auto
2005 Discover America 29 RL

James

Biker1mike
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
is there really a difference between gas tape and other? or is it just a gimmick to make stores stock twice as much.
bumpy

There is a difference.

Mike
'12 Honda Ridgeline pulling '07 Rockwood pop-up

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bumpy

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I used Teflon tape yesterday... was cleaning my WH out, and had to redo the threads on the anode rod. Definitely a must, and I'd definitely consider going with both gas tape and regular tape.

rollingslow
Explorer
Explorer
super glue is a must

dave54
Nomad
Nomad
Both kinds of teflon tape -- water line and gas line.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Kemahsabe
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Three items that should be in every tool box

Duct tape, Teflon tape & Electrical tape

4. Bailing wire

OR various sizes of zip ties (21st century baling wire) :B

Baling wire AND zip ties. Had to tie up an exhaust system once. Not sure the zip ties could handle the heat.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Three items that should be in every tool box

Duct tape, Teflon tape & Electrical tape

4. Bailing wire

OR various sizes of zip ties (21st century baling wire) :B

Thanks for making me feel old. :B:B:B

I realized just after I posted it, that the younger folk probably would not even know what bailing wire is!!

Most do not know what a rotary phone is either. ๐Ÿ™‚
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Fred_n_Jo
Explorer
Explorer
If it leaks and shouldn't - teflon tape
if it moves and shouldn't - duct tape
if it doesn't move and should - wd40

everyone's tool box

a roll of bailing wire is also in my tool box
2017 Host Rainier Truck Camper
2015 F450 Lariat 6.7L PSD CC 4x4

our places camped Map

our rig ready to roll

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Gonzo42 wrote:
Do you know how to find North using only an analog watch? Basic survival skill.

yep, you leave it in the woods and see what side the moss grows on it.
bumpy

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Do you know how to find North using only an analog watch? Basic survival skill.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

othertonka
Explorer
Explorer
How do you tell "clockwise" or "counterclockwise on a digital watch or clock?
Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD