cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tips for a safe trip

Frank55
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 28 foot 5th wheel that is over 20 years old. I have new tires and the wheel bearings have been repacked and are in good shape. We are about to embark on our first long pull (400+ miles). What are some other things I should inspect to make certain we do not have any bad expeeiences.
5 REPLIES 5

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Well, 1st of all, if you RV long and often, "bad experiences" are inevitable. So be prepared financially and emotionally. Usually its something mechanical (faucet, water heater, etc, etc) but with a credit card there is always someone around that can fix anything. It could also be illness or a twisted ankle. Sorry, enough negative. The tires and bearings are a great start. Just test all the systems; water, propane, water heater, refrig., furnace, AC, etc. and makes sure the tow vehicle is up to date on servicing and inspection. Have fun.
Jayco-noslide

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
DO NOT! forget to complete the "bump" test on your trailer every time you hook to make sure you are safely hooked up.

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Double check that fifth-wheel is locked into the hitch... good! I am currently on a trip and I cannot begin to tell you the number of people who have pulled out of campgrounds without checking their lights. Unreal. Being solo, I at least do the 4-ways and usually the headlights, too.

As someone above posted, please do not exceed the rating of the tires. A neighbor told me he was doing 75-80 up I-95 (with a fifth-wheel) and had a blowout. Glad I wasn't next to him.

Enjoy... sounds like you got it covered.

Frank55
Explorer
Explorer
Roof appears in good shape, no water leaks and all appliances work fine. We did a 75 mile round trip without issues.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
The weight of your load. Don't overpack it. Speed rating on the tires. Don't go over it. Enjoy the trip.

If you have the ability to fill your water tank and test water lines for leaks before leaving. Test all appliances. Do they work on gas and/or electric. You didn't say how long since you have used it, but if it's been sitting for awhile, check your roof.