cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

travel trailer registration

caroln242
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a new 24 foot travel trailer. We received the title but never did get the registration papers. So we went to the dealer who didhave the registration papers and he made us a copy. But I'm curious as to why it shows "house trailer" under Vehicle Type. Is that an error that will affect us in any way, or is that just what they use instead of the term travel trailer? We are in the state of Kentucky. Thanks to all who respond!
27 REPLIES 27

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
caroln242 wrote:
I'll check back and see if I can get the original or duplicate. Thanks for the advise.

If the DMV wants to charge you for a duplicate, make the dealer reimburse you for it.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

caroln242
Explorer
Explorer
I'll check back and see if I can get the original or duplicate. Thanks for the advise.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
caroln242 wrote:
Okay, here's the skinny on my registration papers. Even though I have a travel trailer, the term house trailer is correct. The personal property tax is not affected either way. And why don't I have the original registration papers?? The answer I got was, "I guess someone forgot to mail them. But it doesn't matter. The copy the dealer gave you is just fine." Well, okey dokey then. :R Guess I'll quit stressin'.

Thanks everyone for your help and advise.

I would be adamant about getting the original registration. A person from the DMV is not going to be of any help when you are sitting on the side of the road with an LEO. Some LEO's maybe ok with it and some may not. It also depends on the city, county or state that you are driving through. Head off any possibility of headaches. This coming from an LEO, myself.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

caroln242
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, here's the skinny on my registration papers. Even though I have a travel trailer, the term house trailer is correct. The personal property tax is not affected either way. And why don't I have the original registration papers?? The answer I got was, "I guess someone forgot to mail them. But it doesn't matter. The copy the dealer gave you is just fine." Well, okey dokey then. :R Guess I'll quit stressin'.

Thanks everyone for your help and advise.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
caroln242 wrote:
I don't know why I didn't get the original in the mail. The dealer got a copy of it which he copied to give to me. Lost in the mail maybe??? Guess that's two things I need to check on.

You will need the original. If you get stopped, it could be an issue, depending on the LEO.

As far as property tax, do they tax on value or is it a set rate based on an item? If it's value, it won't matter what the registration says.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Redterpos3
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a car (PA) and the registration went to the dealership who then sent it to us.
The Travelin' Terrapins!
2016 Ford F-350 SRW;CC;4x4;172WB;6.7PSD;34,000m
2011 Nash 27T 12,995m
2013 Yr1 30nts 3150m
2014 Yr2 52nts 3365m
2015 yr3 25nts 2260m
2016 yr4 46nts 2500m
2017 yr5 24nts 1720m
2018 yr6 4nts 30m

caroln242
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to the County Clerk tomorrow to get all this straightened out. I did get a copy for the application for title, and I did receive the new title. But the dealer got a copy of the new registration and I got zip. I will post back with an update.

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
caroln242 wrote:
We just bought a new 24 foot travel trailer. We received the title but never did get the registration papers. So we went to the dealer who didhave the registration papers and he made us a copy. But I'm curious as to why it shows "house trailer" under Vehicle Type. Is that an error that will affect us in any way, or is that just what they use instead of the term travel trailer? We are in the state of Kentucky. Thanks to all who respond!

What I have to ask is does KY not need a MSO or a old title from dealer/person selling the TT to issue a title to a new buyer?

In MS when one buys a RV (TT/5er) a dealer will give that person a bill of sale, a copy for the application for title (dealer sends original to the state and keeps a copy), and any other paper work needed for the sale of trailer, but registration is done when we buy the tag for said trailer, could KY be similar to this.

gcloss
Explorer
Explorer
captnjack wrote:
gcloss wrote:
Same here in NY ... under vehicle class code my travel trailer is a HOU for House Coach.

I have a Ram 2500 and in order to get passenger plates in NY, I had to re-classify my truck as a Station Wagon to change from commercial to passenger plates.

I don't know what exactly you did to "reclassify" your truck as a station wagon. NYS DMV website doesn't mention anything about reclassification. It is about weight with an unladen weight of 6100 lbs. being the limit. They don't inspect the vehicle. It is up to you to register it properly. Getting away with it doesn't make it legal.

All I did was to follow the NYS DMV information on their website to obtain passenger plates. It was the clerk at NYS DMV who changed the classification to SUBURBAN (station wagon) not me.

NYS DMV
2012 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 8' box
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE

captnjack
Explorer
Explorer
gcloss wrote:
Same here in NY ... under vehicle class code my travel trailer is a HOU for House Coach.

I have a Ram 2500 and in order to get passenger plates in NY, I had to re-classify my truck as a Station Wagon to change from commercial to passenger plates.

I don't know what exactly you did to "reclassify" your truck as a station wagon. NYS DMV website doesn't mention anything about reclassification. It is about weight with an unladen weight of 6100 lbs. being the limit. They don't inspect the vehicle. It is up to you to register it properly. Getting away with it doesn't make it legal.

gcloss
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:
Just curious, Why did you want your 2500 to be registered passenger? I have my 1500 with Passenger plates comes in just under the 5600 lb limit. Still can't drive it on a parkway!
My wife's Nissan Juke is a suburban according to NY, so was my old Jeep Cherokee.

My JJayco HTT is a H/TRL.

I wanted passenger plates to drive on Long Island Parkways. I also could not park in public parking lots with commercial plates. To get the passenger plates you have to add a non-removable cap and mount either seats, stove or a refigerator in the bed. I mounted a single burner propane stove and a cap.

NYS DMV law is pretty clear about pickups on parkways. Since your 1500 is under 6000#s you should have no problem on parkways.
2012 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 8' box
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE

caroln242
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know why I didn't get the original in the mail. The dealer got a copy of it which he copied to give to me. Lost in the mail maybe??? Guess that's two things I need to check on.

captnjack
Explorer
Explorer
The real question is why did they give you a "copy" of the registration and not the actual registration?

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
gcloss wrote:

Years ago here in Ca a lot of people use to switch and get non commercial plates obviously to save on registration.
They would put a camper shell on it,get it registered then take the shell off..
Catch was if you were ever pulled over and there was so much as a rack , shovel , broom in the bed of the truck . The fines were pretty steep !

Strange tho how some states has vehicles registered ???