cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Traveling I-70 from Michigan to las vegas

kwright
Explorer
Explorer
How is this road? Traveling in motorhome, no toad. Are there any road closures? Any fires along the way? Any info would be appreciated. 2005 coachmen mirada. Any places to stop with no need of a car for sight seeing? Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

kwright
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info, we do not have diesel gas. We've driven some steep grades like up and down 93 in the rv and through the mountains to Yellowstone and down, hoping won't be a problem through Denver. Does Zion have a bus system and a good campground there for a motorhome?

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I've done the Denver/Vegas stretch and beyond about 8 times.

I agree with going I-80 to I-76 instead of I-70 to get to Denver. There are some CDOT rest stops off of I-76 in Julesberg and Sterling that are RV friendly. They both have dump stations and water if you need it. Julesberg was a bit easier to access, but Sterling has a nicer staffed visitor's center. If you do decide to stay on I-80 to go up to Cheyenne then down I-25 (not sure I'd do this, but in case), the Cabela's Headquarters is in Sydney, and they have a campground there.

There's not a ton of RV friendly places to stop along I-70 through the mountains. There is a gas station just past the Outlet Mall on the north side of I-70 we stop at in Silverthorne that's pretty easy in-out. They have diesel there, not sure if you need that. Once you get past Vail there's more places that are easier to stop at, including some more nice rest stops ran by CDOT. You can get those locations on their website. We like the one in Rifle as it has free water and a dump station and is easy in-out and has some nice trees etc., good place for a picnic lunch. I can't think of many places through here where you can stop and sightsee off the highway without a car.. It's a pretty drive even by staying on I-70 though. There is a nice state campground right off of I-70 west of Palisade called James M. Robb, Island Acres. We've stayed there before and enjoyed it.

Once you get into Utah there's some gorgeous rest stops right of the highway between Green River and Salina. Nice picture taking opportunities. Some have bathrooms as well. Both the San Rafael Swell Area and the Black Dragon Canyon View Area are my favorites.

As PastorCharlie mentioned, there's some spots with long stretches between services. If you stop in Green River, UT, don't stop at the first gas station you get to off the highway, go into the town more and it'll be cheaper. There is a Pilot Travel Center that is easy in/out and the restaurant next to it is pretty good for diner food.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
I70 west of Denver is high elevation and long distances without services.

kwright
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks I think that's the way we will go

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming your going by way of Denver are you aware it's figured to be 100 mi shorter 2 hrs less to go I-80 to I-76 rather than I-70