Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do I need to stop at a weigh station ?

Happy_Camper3
Explorer
Explorer
I am in MN if that matters.

My half ton truck weights I dunno 7,000 lbs,

and my camper weight 5700 dry, plus 2 atvs and water, so I am way over10,000 pounds

On the way home, I say a sign that says

"ALL TRUCKS AND TRAILERS OVER 10,000 LBS COMBINED MUST STOP"

I sped up and kept going of course, but what should I have done ?
32 REPLIES 32

steveksfc
Explorer
Explorer
The various DOT websites are not clear on who stops for sure. Most I looked at only talk about Commercial transportation and not private.

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Great thread...I was curious about this
She may be old but she is paid for (the rig that is)

steveksfc
Explorer
Explorer
As I remember I80 through Iowa has signs that state RVs do not stop at weight stations. I am going to make sure but they are really after commercial drivers and trucks here.

Spade_Cooley
Explorer
Explorer
I was on Hwy 80 E/B last month and two tow vehicles were towing new travel trailers. They stopped at the Weigh Stations but I'm sure that they were transporting them to a sales lot. NO one else with an RV stops.

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
When I first started towing years ago I stopped at one that said 'all vehicles towing must stop' so I did. They came over the speaker and said what do you need. I got out went in as ask if I was suppose to stop and they gave me a funny look and said go on and have a nice day. Haven't stopped in one since and that was 30 years ago
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

paddywanpeep
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the question should have been - 'Has anyone ever passed by a weigh station without stopping and get pulled over because of it?'

As you can see the overwhelming response so far has been 'No you don't need to stop' There are always a few folks that will argue a point. If they want to pull in then go right ahead - the rest of us will honk and wave as you waste your time.

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
bigred1cav wrote:
ScottG wrote:
bigred1cav wrote:
If the sign says all vehicles over X tons and you fit the rule. Stop.

Bad advice. No, he doesn't have to stop.

If it says all vehicles unless he is walking he has to stop.

I don't care if your RV weight 25K lbs you don't have to stop
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Its simple. No you do not have to stop at a weigh station.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
bukhrn wrote:
bigred1cav wrote:
ScottG wrote:
bigred1cav wrote:

Not in Va. or many other states, driven by those signs many times, no one has ever chased me down.

I just got back from a last minute trip to Louisville KY via Dayton OH, about 1,400 miles and 10.5 hours each way, I doubt I did anything less than 10 mph over the speed limit almost the entire way there and back except for border crossings, toll booths and where prudence dictated.

By your logic there is NO speed limit because nobody chased me down and stopped me.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
In Maryland, there is the "letter" of the law and then there is the "spirit" of the law. On I-95, the signage says "all vehicles over 5T must stop" or something to that affect.

My dually has a GVWR of 12,300 lbs. According to the sign, even without towing a trailer, it seemed like I should stop.

Out of curiosity, I contacted the State Highway Administration and asked. I clearly stated that it was my personal vehicle, what my GVWR was, and what my actual weights were (from weigh slips). The person responded that it is the GVWR and yes, according to the sign and my GVWR (GVWR matters, not actual weights)- I'm supposed to stop. He said that all vehicles that match the signage are supposed to stop. The reason is so that they can determine if you're performing commercial activities.

Maybe I was looking for it, but I felt like there was a wink and a nod in his emails saying "here's what you're supposed to do, but no one is coming after you if you don't".

So there- in Maryland, yes you're supposed to stop even in just your dually if your GVWR is over 10,000 lbs. But, other than 1 occurrence (a first-hand post on another forum), I've never heard of anyone getting pulled over for it.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
IOWA
Any peace officer having reason to believe that the weight of a vehicle and load is unlawful is authorized to require the driver to stop and submit to a weighing of the same by means of either portable or stationary scales and may require the vehicle to be driven to the nearest public scales. If the officer determines that the weight is unlawful, the officer may require the driver to stop the vehicle in a suitable place until such portion of the load is removed as may be necessary to reduce the GVW to the permitted limit.

All vehicles weighing over 10,000 lbs. must stop.

ILLINOIS
A police officer may pull over any vehicle suspected of exceeding weight limits.

LOUISIANA
The following vehicles must stop: (1) agricultural vehicles; (2) passenger or specialty vehicles, either single or in combination (towing a trailer) with GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or more; (3) commercial trucks with GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or more.

MASSACHUSETTS
The following vehicles must stop: (1) agricultural vehicles; (2) passenger or specialty vehicles, either single or in combination (towing a trailer) with GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or more; (3) commercial trucks with GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or more.

MINNESOTA
All vehicles with a GVW rating in excess of 10,000 lbs. must stop.

NEVADA
The following vehicles must stop: (1) agricultural; (2) passenger or specialty vehicles either in combination (towing a trailer) with GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or more; and, (3) commercial trucks with a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or more.

NEW HAMPSHIRE
The driver of every motor vehicle shall, upon request of any law enforcement officer, stop and submit such to a weighing of said motor vehicle by means of either portable or stationary scales. If such scales are not available at the place where the stopping occurs, upon request of a law enforcement officer, the driver shall drive said motor vehicle to the nearest public scales provided the distance to the public scales does not exceed 10 miles.

OKLAHOMA
Any officer of DPS, the Oklahoma Tax Commission, or any sheriff is authorized to stop any vehicle in order to weigh the vehicle with portable or stationary scales.

PENNSYLVANIA
Regardless of size, the following vehicles are subject to inspection and weigh station examinations: (1) agriculture vehicles when using public highways; (2) passenger and specialty vehicles towing large trailers; (3) large recreational vehicles, and (4) trucks.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
bigred1cav wrote:
ScottG wrote:
bigred1cav wrote:

What do they tell you when you pull in to weigh with your RV?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
bigred1cav wrote:
ScottG wrote:
bigred1cav wrote:

Not in Va. or many other states, driven by those signs many times, no one has ever chased me down.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Space_nerd
Explorer
Explorer
I am from Minnesota. Tow a 12k 5th wheel with a 2500 GMC truck. I have never stopped. Never been chased down and never told to GIT.