cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Last minute negotiation help with a new TT

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm about to buy an ORV 23 DBS. Best offer I have is 26% below MSRP and it's the best offer by a decent margin. These units aren't really on the market in used condition and there's not a huge number of new ones, either.

Dealer will include 2 6V batteries, all the hookup/hoses, etc, and full propane.

Any other suggestions or tips? Things I need to know before putting down deposit?

And what happens next? Put down deposit, have them prep it, do the PDI, have them fix everything, then walk through again, sign/finance and drive away?
14 REPLIES 14

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
I pulled the trigger. Happy with price, got another couple hundred bucks knocked off after another dealer came back lower, and this dealer is close to my home. Has a good reputation. Thanks for everyone's help.

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
56Jeff wrote:
Make them throw in ~ $500.00 in dealer coupon, for merchandise purchases in their rv store / showroom. that probably only cost them 200 bucks. Some of that fun stuff you will need after a few trips and you can tell what you really need.

56Jeff

I did something along those lines by having the dealer provide a 1.2/12K Equal-i-zer WDH and a dinette sized Colorado slide topper both installed for a total extra cost of $500 which is close to their cost and I didn't pay for any of the install costs.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
I usually insist on an "out the door price" that includes sales tax, pdi, paper work, whatever. I make it real clear and say this is what I'm going to write the check for. Period. That's the only way you will know what you are really paying. Yes, you will need the the weight distribution/sway hitch. You have a great truck, but big semi's passing you in the left lane will still push that trailer around and you will have to be constantly correcting for it. Take a look at the Andersen...it is a really easy hitch to hook up, much easier than Equal-i-zer or Blue Ox and will plenty for your set up. I love mine...and I've had them all over the years.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

56Jeff
Explorer
Explorer
Make them throw in ~ $500.00 in dealer coupon, for merchandise purchases in their rv store / showroom. that probably only cost them 200 bucks. Some of that fun stuff you will need after a few trips and you can tell what you really need.

56Jeff

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
That's a decent deal - go for it.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like you have done the research on pricing, plus MSRP is a mythical number so to speak as it will vary from dealer to dealer, either way whatever bargain people believe they got on an RV purchase, rest assured the dealer made their profit margin and then some. I say go for it if you are planning on using it right away, if not maybe during the deep winter ahead you could possibly save a few more bucks. No doubt your tow vehicle can handle the weight of your TT, but the better weight distribution hitches will also have integrated sway control which greatly helps when traveling at interstate speeds on windy days. Enjoy your new TT!!!

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Shifting a little weight forward via a WDH helps braking IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
I would highly suggest upgrading the original tires on that trailer! Manufacturers put the cheapest they can get away with. Your family is riding on them so upgrade to a higher load range! See if the dealer can have you pay a minimal difference on tires.

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks, I don't have a WDH. Some suggested I would not need one, my TV is a brand new 2017 full ton RAM and has trailer brake control and exhaust brake - but if I should have a WDH for safety I will get one. This unit has a wet weight of 8100 lb and tongue weight about 1200. Payload on my TV is 4000 lb. Please let me know your thoughts, they are much appreciated.

The price I'm being given is inclusive of all dealer fees. Just my tax and tags extra.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
If you can get the weight distribution hitch, great. They are several hundred dollars and not an unusual item to try to have added, maybe if they pull out the "Documentation fee" requirement, try to get that in trade.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I think downtheroad is referring to a weight distributing hitch. Check out the prices for a Reese dual cam or an Equal-izer hitch and try and negotiate a cheaper price on one. Don't let them charge you for the PDI. Nice looking unit. ENJOY!
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
downtheroad wrote:
Nice looking family unit....
If you can get it, to sweeten the deal, have them swap out the analog thermostat for a digital unit....
Also, do you already have the hitching equipment? If not might want to deal on that also..

Otherwise, that's pretty much the way it's done.

Congrats and good luck with your new unit.

By hitching equipment, what do you mean? I have a hitch receiver on my truck but do need the ball mount and ball.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
If that is the BOTTOM LINE then that is not to bad. BUT the dealer most likely will try to add on bunches of things. Tell them the price quoted needs to be bottom line plus sales tax only.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Nice looking family unit....
If you can get it, to sweeten the deal, have them swap out the analog thermostat for a digital unit....
Also, do you already have the hitching equipment? If not might want to deal on that also..

Otherwise, that's pretty much the way it's done.

Congrats and good luck with your new unit.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro