cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Watching these videos could save your life!

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone who drives an RV should have to watch these videos.

RV Tire Information Videos.
http://www.michelinrvtires.com/tires/tires-101/tire-maintenance-and-safety/how-to-handle-a-blowout/
They are about 20 minutes long, so if you have a dial up it may take quite a while. You can request a copy of the video to be sent to you.
190 REPLIES 190

biker4life
Explorer
Explorer
Great learning experience! thanks for taking the time to post them.

mrblanche
Explorer
Explorer
Find somebody you trust to check them on a regular basis. If you're traveling, you can have them checked at Speedco sites for a fee. Most truck stop shops will do it for a fee, also. But if you're at a truck stop, ask a trucker. I'd do it for you.

If you're at home, train one of the local teenagers and have him check it for you.

butterbean101
Explorer
Explorer
howdy yall,
i am handicapped and can not bend over or crawl under to check my air pressure
daily, as i am supposed to do...i can't afford one of the wireless gauge sets
and am concerned as what to do...

pohlcat
Explorer
Explorer
Simple and staight forward info. Will watch again when weather gets better.
2003 37' Coachmen Cross Country Diesel
Blue Ox Tow Bar
TST TM-510RV

kingsrgood2007
Explorer
Explorer
Also, more FREE information about travel can be seen at many State DOT websites. For example, see all of the 11 Western States web-sites by typing State initial 511.com. EXAMPLE: California DOT can be found at: CA511.com, Nevada DOT at: NV511.com and etc.

n2travel
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the information. Put my request in today with the link. Definitely sounds like info myself and others can really benefit from. And others have stated I would not have thought to press on the gas, rather slam on the brakes.... cant wait to view. Thanks again!

creekindian
Explorer
Explorer
We are new to RV'ing, and I have been reading various post on the forum. I went to this link and watched the videos. The tire blow out was very informative to me. The hubby drove trucks for 30+ years. He probably already knew this. But I didn't. At least I will know what is going on, should we ever experience a blowout. Maybe now I won't "freak out" on him.

mrblanche
Explorer
Explorer
jmcc wrote:
Yes, those videos were very good! Who would have thought of stepping on the gas!?

Where would you purchase an infarared thermometer?

I know this is an old thread, but there's an easy answer here. You can get them from Radio Shack, but they are also available for less than $20 at Harbor Freight.

If you want to avoid tire problems, always replace tires in pairs on the drive axles. Look at your tires at every stop. Pay special attention to right-side tires; the crown of the road moves debris out to that edge. If you see a nail or some foreign object in a tire, go immediately to a repair shop; do NOT pull it out! Some truckers carry a selection of screws (such as short drywall screws, which have a pretty decent taper) to put in a hole that they may have pulled a nail out of to hold pressure long enough to get to a repair station.

Also, learn to read the DOT number on tires so that you can tell how old they are.

Just as an entirely different thought -- or maybe not -- today's tubeless tires can run a long time slightly low and not come apart. You'd be surprise how long they'll last completely flat. The bad news is that they CAN get hot enough to catch fire, and that's not a pretty sight.

montestl
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for info link. Monte

johnny_mac
Explorer
Explorer
I should've seen this thread sooner..

daytona7
Explorer
Explorer
Besides under inflation and over loading another way to get a flat, blowout or whatever, is by riding for distances on those 'RPM's' raised pavement markers and rumble strips. These are the ones in the center of the roads and shoulders. They have a tendency to cause the tires to heat up faster.

DakotaD
Explorer
Explorer
Great info, thanks.
...by His grace...

kjames90755
Explorer
Explorer
Having only had our rig for 2.5 years I, too, have been under the wrong impression.

Knowing that one should accelerate slightly to maintain control until a safe pull-off is a new one for me.

Both videos underscore the need for us all to get our rigs weighed...and possibly put on diets. Don't use your rig to store "stuff" from your house. (How many of us put something in our rig only to never use or even unwrap it?) Even I am guilty--I/we still have yet to measure, cut and place the non-skid mats for our cupboards--even after 2 years--and one of our games, Scattergories (I think) is still shrink-wrapped! I guess the destination and company is more important than the drive and spare time.

Our rig is in for a re-built engine being replaced under warranty--I'm gonna see if our tech will have it 4-corner weighed on the way back to his Orange County facility--I may have to shift storage items.
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H, All. 3000MH (6-auto), Freightliner XC Chass., Cummins 6.7L Turbo, (Sweet! Delivery 03/12/08). Tow: '07 Dodge Gr. Caravan, Me, Him; Sugarbear, Apr. Toy Poodle; Pepe, Blk Toy Poodle; Hero, fat Siam.-mix polydactyl cat/Alarm Clock.

mark_johnson
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, just found this wonderful site and it may have already saved my life. Now that's getting your moneys worth! mark.
Mark and Bobbie Johnson
We are hiking, biking and photographing the west's most scenic places. Join us at...

www.artfulrvadventures.com

Vin_number
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the heads up on the RV tires video clips. Now I know what to do when I have a flat at 60 MPH in my RV. Thanks most informative RV video clip I have seen all year.
06 Winnebago, TOUR 36' W/3 sliders. My towing system is the "Unified Tow Brake" I'm old and slow and most always in the right lane.