cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

water taste

Bemota
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a FW a couple mos. ago. This is our first FW (had slide-in), anyway on walk-thru the tech showed how everything worked, everything worked. When we got home I noticed there was some pink stuff (anti-freeze) in the little drain pipes sticking out the bottom of FW. I drained every thing out, and ran fresh water thru every thing. Now I still have a taste of anti-freeze in the water, will bleach take this out, and how much per gal. I think it also got "cooked" in the water heater, cause the water heater was running on walk-thru. I drained the water heater with no help, still taste. What's next ???
Thanks in advance for any help!!
Dan
2017 Dodge Ram Big Horn 3500 HD Cummins
2018 Cedar Creek 34RL2
Navy CPO Retired, Jan (DW), and Ziggy (Cat)
8 REPLIES 8

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
zach477 wrote:
Sanitize with with bleach like others have said, the use baking soda to get rid of the taste. If that doesn't work, pour a bunch of kool-aid powder in the tank. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Too funny!
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

zach477
Explorer
Explorer
Bemota wrote:
would flushing the heater through the anode hole help,

Probably. Also not a bad idea to do it anyway. Maybe even change the anode while you have it out.

Sanitize with with bleach like others have said, the use baking soda to get rid of the taste. If that doesn't work, pour a bunch of kool-aid powder in the tank. ๐Ÿ˜‰

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Reason #2 why I switched to the dry method for winterizing.

Do a full sanitize, Bleach (1/4 cup to 15 gallons) fill tank run pump flush through lines till you smell bleach, do not forget showers and toilet and do not forget low point drains

Drain

Optional fill with fresh and flush till bleach goes away. Drain

Refill with fresh water and some baking soda, My tank is 70 gallons I use around 1/4 to 1/2 pound.

Flush and drain

Optional refill with fresh flush and drain

Refill with fresh and taste.

Come winter Use dry method described in forum library.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bemota
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys, the two small pipes drain the hot and cold water, tee-d where they go up into the bathroom/shower. My main concern is the anti-freeze that was heated in the water heater. The taste and smell really get strong in the hot water, would flushing the heater through the anode hole help, right now everything is draining again. DW thinks those water purifying tablets mite help. I came to the conclusion that tech is an idgiot !!!
Dan
2017 Dodge Ram Big Horn 3500 HD Cummins
2018 Cedar Creek 34RL2
Navy CPO Retired, Jan (DW), and Ziggy (Cat)

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I would guess that the little drain pipes were the hot and cold water system drains. they are the low spot and would retain some pink stuff.
does one have a red cap and one a blue one?
bumpy

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Were those "little drain pipes" for just your black and grey tanks? If so, no big deal. It's possible/probable your camper was winterized using a bypass for the water heater.

To sanitize the fresh water tank:

A quarter cup (1/4c) of bleach per each 15 gallons of water.

For better results, mix the bleach into water before putting it into the fresh tank instead of adding water and and dumping in bleach. (Others will disagree, of course.)

Let it sit awhile. Drain. Rinse (use baking soda in the rinse if you want). Repeat as many times as needed.

If you have a filtration system, remove the filter. Same for the fridge.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
Are you saying that when you drained the water heater, it was full of pink anti-freeze? If so, whom ever winterized the FW was an idiot. :S

As far as the taste, I would just do the fill and drain method, repeat as necessary.

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do a web search on sanitizing potable water tanks.