cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to purchase vehicle & TT

Mik68
Explorer
Explorer
We are arriving in LA from Australia & starting our travels there but was wondering where the best state to purchase a vehicle & TT is? For paying less tax & what ever else is involved?
We realise it may be difficult for us to register these & get insurance as we are not US residence, so this is a consideration. I am making enquiries with 'Alternative Resources' in SD as to whether they can assist us. Does anyone have any other idea's?
A quick look at a similar TT in various states, prices varied as much as $5000. In difference. Why? Is it because of different state taxes? or are taxes added to the purchase price afterwards. LA was the most expensive in my quick search. So where does everyone purchase there RV's? And if you live in one state is it easy to purchase from another?
Renting is out of the question as we will be full time RVing for upto 7 months & will be bringing the TT back to Aus with us.
Cheers Mik
26 REPLIES 26

aussie1
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for late reply, we only intend on bringing back the TT not the vehicle & I found a company that operates out of LA & Brisbane that convert before it leaves the US. Basic packages start at $5000 & includes door on rear or other side, electrics, LPG etc. all for Aussie specs. they also can ship back to Aus, but looked quite expensive in this area. You're $25000 must of been for converting car yeah?
Actually Shadow cruiser are building 4 different style TT's for the Aussie market & ship them to a dealer on East coast of Aus, all ready to go for Aussie market. I'm quietly hoping to get my hands on one of these before it gets another $50000 added to the price tag when shipped to Aus. That's right they retail here for $88,000.
We will be looking into the visa's soon, thanks for the heads up. We do intend to spend time in Canada on East & West coast but don't think it will be for more than 30 days at a time.
I will PM you soon, I have many questions.
Thanks Mik

Hi Mik
I will wait for the PM but just to give you food for thought - no the $25000 for conversion was in Aust. just for the TT. The conversion of the Lariat would also be $25000 but done in the US.
Also you have actually have to plan to be out of the US for at least 30 days to get your I94 retained by the Canada or Mexico border people so that you can get a new one for an additional 6 months when you return. I suggest you also look into a five year entry visa rather than just the usual 12 months. Not a lot more expensive but certainly cheaper than having to apply for a new one if you return again.
Cheers

B-52G
Explorer
Explorer
Try this website. www.rvstobuy.com. we bought ours there and he was tell me that he sells all over the country. He sell a lot of TT to people from Canada. He has some real good prices. I tagged andpayed taxes in Missouri and they are not bad. Good luck.

Mik68
Explorer
Explorer
aussie1 wrote:
Hi Mik68
My OH and I currently own a fifth wheel and TV in the USA (in storage in Phoenix). We have done two 12 month trips and plan on returning for another one.
We also planned on bringing a TT back to Australia and were quoted $25000 (3 years ago) for the conversion so we canned the idea. I would be really interested in who in going to do your conversion.
Also there can be some problems with entry visas so just be aware that staying for longer than 6 months may be difficult unless you plan on leaving and travelling into Canada or Mexico for more than 30 days.
We have licensed and insured our vehicles in Texas and use Escapees as an address and mail forwarding service. Without a residential address you are unable to license and insure vehicles.
Also, if you own the vehicles for less than 12 months you may also have to pay GST into Australia - might be worth checking on that if you haven't already done so.
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Oh and by the way - we are in Perth too.
Cheers

Sorry for late reply, we only intend on bringing back the TT not the vehicle & I found a company that operates out of LA & Brisbane that convert before it leaves the US. Basic packages start at $5000 & includes door on rear or other side, electrics, LPG etc. all for Aussie specs. they also can ship back to Aus, but looked quite expensive in this area. You're $25000 must of been for converting car yeah?
Actually Shadow cruiser are building 4 different style TT's for the Aussie market & ship them to a dealer on East coast of Aus, all ready to go for Aussie market. I'm quietly hoping to get my hands on one of these before it gets another $50000 added to the price tag when shipped to Aus. That's right they retail here for $88,000.
We will be looking into the visa's soon, thanks for the heads up. We do intend to spend time in Canada on East & West coast but don't think it will be for more than 30 days at a time.
I will PM you soon, I have many questions.
Thanks Mik

aussie1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Mik68
My OH and I currently own a fifth wheel and TV in the USA (in storage in Phoenix). We have done two 12 month trips and plan on returning for another one.
We also planned on bringing a TT back to Australia and were quoted $25000 (3 years ago) for the conversion so we canned the idea. I would be really interested in who in going to do your conversion.
Also there can be some problems with entry visas so just be aware that staying for longer than 6 months may be difficult unless you plan on leaving and travelling into Canada or Mexico for more than 30 days.
We have licensed and insured our vehicles in Texas and use Escapees as an address and mail forwarding service. Without a residential address you are unable to license and insure vehicles.
Also, if you own the vehicles for less than 12 months you may also have to pay GST into Australia - might be worth checking on that if you haven't already done so.
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Oh and by the way - we are in Perth too.
Cheers

Mik68
Explorer
Explorer
Mike.t. I'm starting to wonder if you work for a rental co.
I will only be bringing back the TT & hopefully a late 60's american muscle car, 'not' the tow vehicle.
I have looked into renting a TT & tow vehicle for 6 plus months & it worked out to be more than buying brand new. So as you can see bringing it home for $7500 & necessary conversions, door, electrics, LPG etc around $5000, ill still be in front. Not only that, a brand new Similar TT in Oz will set you back $80,000 to $100,000.

mike_t
Explorer
Explorer
I understand your thoughts. However with the tow vehicle being a "Left Hand Driver" doesn't seem to fit to well while driving in Australia. Why not rent. Enjoy your travels and buy what you want back in your country. An American made vehicle could be quite expensive to repair.

Mik68
Explorer
Explorer
mike.t wrote:

Bringing it back? And your worried about taxes. I guess purchase it close enough to where your departure site will be so as not to have to drive cross country. Happy motoring

Precisely why we want to save as much as we can on purchase price & taxes.
The savings could pay for our costs to bring it home. Roughly $7,500.
I'm a blue collar worker & have worked very hard & saved for many years to do this once in a life time holiday with the kids.:D

mike_t
Explorer
Explorer
Mik68 wrote:
We are arriving in LA from Australia & starting our travels there but was wondering where the best state to purchase a vehicle & TT is? For paying less tax & what ever else is involved?
We realise it may be difficult for us to register these & get insurance as we are not US residence, so this is a consideration. I am making enquiries with 'Alternative Resources' in SD as to whether they can assist us. Does anyone have any other idea's?
A quick look at a similar TT in various states, prices varied as much as $5000. In difference. Why? Is it because of different state taxes? or are taxes added to the purchase price afterwards. LA was the most expensive in my quick search. So where does everyone purchase there RV's? And if you live in one state is it easy to purchase from another?
Renting is out of the question as we will be full time RVing for upto 7 months & will be bringing the TT back to Aus with us.
Cheers Mik

Bringing it back? And your worried about taxes. I guess purchase it close enough to where your departure site will be so as not to have to drive cross country. Happy motoring

wintersun
Explorer
Explorer
It is a buyers' market for RV's and easy to save 25% compared to a new vehicle and you avoid having to take a RV back to the dealer for various items that might need fixing during the first months of use. A lot more to do wrong in an RV than a car.

Lower purchase price is going to be more important than saving on sales tax. Certain markets have a great many more used RV's from which to choose, like Phoenix, Arizona or even southern California. And advantage to California is that buying extra items for the RV there will be many more stores with RV related items than in any other area except perhaps Florida.

Of all the states I have traveled across the one I would not have minded missing out on at all was Texas.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will find easily accessible snow in the Colorado high country (above 10,000 feet) through early June //unless Global Warming gets worse!//.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Mik68
Explorer
Explorer
wannavolunteerFT wrote:

Also, if you buy in TX, you might find you just want to start your travels there. The Southwestern US is where many RV'ers and other travelers like to visit as there are many interesting sites in the area.

You read our minds. We have been discussing starting our trip in Texas. The only reason we can think of why not to is that the kids might not get to see snow if we start from Houston in April.

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
Especially since you have a cousin in TX, you might check with Escapees RV club. they are based in TX and help folks establish residency there, provide mail forwarding and other services to full timers. I am not a member (yet); however I have heard good things about them.

Also, if you buy in TX, you might find you just want to start your travels there. The Southwestern US is where many RV'ers and other travelers like to visit as there are many interesting sites in the area.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
Roads Less Traveled wrote:
THe best state for buying a diesel truck is Idaho at Dave Smith Motors. Their inventory is massive. Acres and acres and acres of trucks. Truly mind-boggling. We went to the dealership in Kellogg Idaho.

RAM dealers in the west frown a little when you bring up Dave.
LOL

Almost bought mine up there in Kellogg...
Got the quote from Dave Smith, showed the dealer I actually bought from.
They grumbled then immediately dropped the price tag.

Roads_Less_Trav
Explorer II
Explorer II
THe best state for buying a diesel truck is Idaho at Dave Smith Motors. Their inventory is massive. Acres and acres and acres of trucks. Truly mind-boggling. We went to the dealership in Kellogg Idaho.
2007 Hitchhiker II 34.5 RLTG Fifth Wheel
2007 Dodge RAM 3500 Long Bed / Single Rear Wheel
Traveling full-time in an RV and sailboat since 2007
Our full-time blog: http://roadslesstraveled.us
-Stories, photos, and lots of RVing tips!!