cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Would love some audio suggestions

Sanukli
Explorer
Explorer
Newest of newbies here - have had our 1992 Jayco since last fall and just now gearing up for our first big trip.

Have an OK 19" TV in our coach but sound is pretty weak. Not really interested in spending a ton of money on a sound system but really want the kids to be able to watch Movies as we pass through some boring and flat scenery.

Ideally would love to find some wireless headphones but I can't seem to find a perfect fit. Looking for multiple headphones and the receiver to be battery powered since my one DC outlet is already taken by the TV.

Anyone have any suggestions of what works for them? Gonna have some grumbling kids if we can't find a way to entertain them on our 3 week trip across country!

d
7 REPLIES 7

Sanukli
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome, some really fantastic feedback, thanks.

First, should have been a bit more clear on my original post.

The TV is a 19" LED - it's an Axxess, not a brand I'm familiar with but was already in there.

Also should have mentioned that will for sure bring a laptop and an iPad or two, but really like the ability of all of the kids to watch something at the same time on a larger screen.

Have looked into hooking in to the existing radio - put a newer Pioneer in there so we can play songs off our iPod so thought about connecting in at that time. But would rather like to keep the Radio for me so I can listen to radio / songs while the kids watch the nonsense they will no-doubtedly watch.

Really like the idea of a DC splitter as this would almost assuredly be the best fit. Not only am I brand new to RVing, but not much of an electrician either so didn't think about splitting the power. I assume this is a device that connects to the Car Charger cable? Will look into that option because being able to have current opens up the options for both remote speakers OR headphones. Brilliant!

However, not being an electrician, is there any technical considerations I should factor in to not draw off the battery? The Jayco has a second DC plug in the sleeping quarters which will not be utilized, but how do I know (aside from the hard way!) that I won't be pulling too much.

I'm sure this is dependent on the battery and the type of devices, but would love to know exactly numbers are relevant. The current TV pulls 32 Watts - methinks that has to be factored in...

Thanks!

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
A 1992 TV almost certainly be a CRT. First thing I'd recommend to the OP is to toss it, buy a 12 volt LED TV. It might take some cabinet work, but you will free up a good amount of space, and the TV can be put on an arm so it can be viewed at more angles.

For private sound, put a Bluetooth jack adapter in the sound jack, give the kids headphones, and call it done.

Fixed_Sight_Tra
Explorer
Explorer
I use my old netbook computer. $200 new with all my music and a few movies on the hard drive. This plugs via headset plug or USB into the jensen stereo in the coach or the kids can take it and watch it somewhere. Batt lasts 4+ hours and can charge with a small inverter in the coach 12 v plug.

Also works for their music or movies in the TV on long trips although I really try to limit that.

If you happen to go to a place with wi-fi or have a cell signal you can also use it to check your email or post on rv.net. Easy and inexpensive little multi tasker.

I don't hava a tv mounted in the rv and never intend to. The movies are for emergency use only.
Big Brother is watching.

jamnw
Explorer
Explorer
iPods. You can load movies, games..... They can each watch what they want. Check pawn shops. I got a deal on 2 for my boys. They have been the best purchase!
MARRIED WITH 2 BOYS: AGES 11 AND 13 years!
2000 F250 PSD/CREW CAB (301000 original miles)
2014 Keystone Springdale 320FWFBH
USN Veteran, Aegis FC

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can always "Split" the DC to feed multiple devices up to the max load rating of the outlet.. I mean from where I sit I can see a Rig-Runner 40-12.. This is a distribution panel with 1 inlet and 11 outlets as I recall Anderson power poles, fused at 40 amps (your outlet is closer to 10 max 5 to be safe).

As much as I kind of like a quality blue tooth pair, the analog-digital - analog conversion takes time, You won't like that, Thus FM radio types are best (no or very little delay).

One thing that might work.. your dash radio.. The link I will edit in explains how

Several options, Pick one of the FM ones

If it loads.. I actually have one of these, works good, rechargable via USB cord.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

westend
Explorer
Explorer
You will be hard pressed to find a receiver that is not powered either by 12V DC or 120V AC. Some of the small "T amps" are battery powered. You could buy a pair of passive speakers or a sound bar and the "T-amp" will drive those.

Have you checked the TV to see if it has headphone or ext. audio jacks?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Hi and welcome to the forum. I don't know much about headphones, but a lot of folks use sound bars with their TVs. You mentioned a 19" TV; this is not a tube tv is it? If so, that's gonna severely limit your options. Other folks will jump in with good info.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"