cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2005 Jeep Wrangler - Which Blue Ox Base Plate?

GORVN4FUN
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a 2005 Jeep Wrangler X, and I'd like to install a baseplate so I can use my Blue Ox tow bar. I get conflicting info from different sites, and even Blue OX. Most sites show BX 1120, BUT indicate it's for a double tube bumper. I have U-channel (or C-channel not sure) bumpers. I see BX 1118, but looks like for older Wranglers. I would really like to have the hidden pin connections too, but not a big deal. Anyone out there know which one I should buy? Would like to order, but might have to wait and call Blue Ox.

Thanks in advance,
Howie
Current - 06 Georgetown 326DSF XL - Class A w/ 07 Ford Edge toad
3rd - 02 Dutchmen Classic 28FB-DSL TT w/Silverado PU & Expedition SUV
2nd - 99 Wilderness Lite 22' TT w/Dakota PU
1st - 87 Palomino Slide-In TC w/Toyota PU
5 REPLIES 5

GORVN4FUN
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I called Blue Ox and verified that BX 1120 is the correct part for my 2005 Wrangler. Ordered it Monday and received it today (Tuesday). I held it up to where it will mount, and it all aligned perfectly. So, glad I called as suggested.

Thanks,
Howie
Current - 06 Georgetown 326DSF XL - Class A w/ 07 Ford Edge toad
3rd - 02 Dutchmen Classic 28FB-DSL TT w/Silverado PU & Expedition SUV
2nd - 99 Wilderness Lite 22' TT w/Dakota PU
1st - 87 Palomino Slide-In TC w/Toyota PU

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
GORVN4FUN wrote:
I just purchased a 2005 Jeep Wrangler X, and I'd like to install a baseplate so I can use my Blue Ox tow bar. I get conflicting info from different sites, and even Blue OX. Most sites show BX 1120, BUT indicate it's for a double tube bumper. I have U-channel (or C-channel not sure) bumpers. I see BX 1118, but looks like for older Wranglers. I would really like to have the hidden pin connections too, but not a big deal. Anyone out there know which one I should buy? Would like to order, but might have to wait and call Blue Ox.

Thanks in advance,
Howie

Howie,
You've got a few choices here.

1. You can actually use the stock front bumper that comes on the TJ models. The actual name of the design is called "Channel". Channel has two short sides and one long side. The long side is the face of your bumper. Those stock bumpers are made of around, 14-16 gauge material and, is a medium quality steel. I say you can actually use it, because, you can install a simple re-inforcment plate on the back side of the bumper. In the front is where the Blue Ox or, any other maker of tow brackets will be attached. You would simply "sandwich" the factory bumper in between the tow brackets and, the reinforcement plates. It actually works quite well. I've done it on many Jeeps.

And, no, you won't tear the front bumper off the Jeep or, tear the sheet metal around the attachment points, AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN.

2. As has been stated, you could install an aftermarket bumper, made by many different companies. And, about 99.9% of those companies install/weld either a single, 3/4" thick tab (recovery point) to each side of the bumper, or, some install/weld two of those, on each side. They are welded on, at the approximate point of the frame horns, (the point where the tip of the Jeeps frame is, on the back side) to get the most strength since, that's where the bumpers are attached the frame too.

Once you've installed any one of those aftermarket bumpers and, they have at least one of the 3/4" thick tabs on each side, then you can purchase adapters made by Blue Ox and other companies that will adapt your Blue Ox tow bar, those 3/4" recovery tabs. That is by far, the best way to go.

Those tabs I'm speaking of are primarily used for the attachment of D-rings, to be used for recovery if and when, the Jeep gets stuck and can't move on it's own, past any point that stops it.

But, it all depends on just what your plans are for the Jeep. Good luck.
Scott

P.S. The link below will lead you to those adapters, should you decide on an aftermarket, Off road bumper of sorts.

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/pics/B/X/BX88291_15_1000.jpg
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
Instead of the blue ox baseplate, you could change out your bumper. LOD makes a front bumper and will weld blue ox tabs on it for a total cost of $200 which is $200 less than a baseplate. Easy install.
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
Much easier to call Blue Ox to be sure. Its kind of confusing on some vehicles.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I would call Blue Ox to make contact and follow up by sending photos of front, side, under etc.