cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

4X4 for dingy towing

OldSalt92
Explorer
Explorer
I drive a 2008 4-Runner, and love it, but it can't be dingy towed. I don't want to tow it on a trailer. I'm not planning on going "overlanding", but want a 4X4 with some ground clearance to take dirt roads in the west, drive into Nat'l forest and maybe some remote lands for overnight camp. I know Jeeps can be flat towed, but wonder about the quality since Fiat took over. Same with GM since the Gov't takeover in 2008. I thought older Toyotas (1990's) could be flat towed with a manual transfer case? I see a 2000 Rav 4 with manual Trans & transfer case can be, but can't get dingy towing guide online earlier than 2000. An older 4 Runner or Land Cruiser with Manual trans and transfer case, would be my Ideal Toad. RAV 4, CRV, or Subaru Outback (again quality?) would be OK. Maybe a Hummer H3??? Any thoughts would be helpful, I'm looking to buy a Class A or Super C in 6 to 12 months and head west and possibly an Alaska trip. Will require 10,000 lb. hitch and tow capacity.
18 REPLIES 18

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
My 03 CRV ( automatic) tows great and has a lot of ground clearance.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
what year tow guide are you looking for?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old Suzukies can be flat towed. Light, cheap, and tons of fun wrapped up in a small package. Yea, their old, but darn near bullet proof.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are looking for ground clearance, wouldn't the Outback be a little low?
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow