cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advise on towing Ford Focus or Fiesta?

precioustime
Explorer II
Explorer II
Narrowed my search to purchase a Ford Focus or Fiesta to tow behind my Fleetwood 28MS rv. They are very similar but in general are they reliable cars? Well built? Plan to tow with 4 wheels on the ground with automatic transmission. Anyone have any problems they can share? Do they drive nicely? Engine strength ok to drive uphill? Any negative points on the vehicle? Any advise would be appreciated.
11 REPLIES 11

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Go with a focus over a fiesta....not much difference in price, but a roomier vehicle. My in laws had a 2016 auto focus that they set up for flat towing...no issues with towing, but there was an issue with it not changing gears and stalling out. They since have traded it in. We have a 2016 manual transmission with no issues. Good value and drives good. I had a 2014 (got totaled) that was a manual and drove really good. We used to tow it with a dolly. No issues.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
I love my Fiesta 1.0 turbo so much, we bought a 2nd one 6-months later! It tows well, and also tows trailers well. 2,000 pounds over steeps cascade and rocky passes is really no problem at all, and doesn't even require downshifting until grades exceed 4%.

PS - my one major complaint about the Fiesta is the lack of fold-flat rear seats the the Focus has. It fits MTBs just fine inside with only the front wheels off, but road bikes won't fit inside without pulling both wheels or laying down flat (which eats up way more space). I have a roof rack and hitch rack, but neither can be as secure as locking them up inside. A few good MTBs easily cost more than the car!
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2016 Fiesta with the 1 liter turbo Ecoboost motor and a stick shift. I haven't towed it yet but the owners manual says it's flat towable, simply release the parking brake and put the trans in neutral. Simple.

The car is a blast to drive, it has lively pickup and lots of low RPM power that makes for less downshifting than with non turbo small cars I've driven. Performence is at least as good as that of the 2 liter 2013 Focus I owned. Handling is tight and precise. Mileage is at 40.8 and both my wife and I drive it hard, it begs to be driven hard.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I assume you have checked with the owner's manual about towing this 4 down? look under towing behind a motorhome or recreational towing. do NOT rely on third party advice in this area. do NOT buy something that needs alteration to tow.
bumpy

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Performance is going to depend on your choices.

Focus engine options range from 1.0 liter turbo engine (123 HP) through the 160 HP 2.0 liter to turbocharged performance models rated 252 to 350 HP. That's not counting the all-electric option.

The unsupercharged 2.0 will take you up any hill on any U.S. highway at speeds in excess of the speed limit. My 4500 pound minivan could do that much with only 140 HP, compact cars today tend to be way overpowered. These engines have to run at high RPM to produce maximum power, but that was probably also the case with your Kia.

The Focus hatchback has huge space (44 cu ft) when converted to a cargo hauler, and when using the seats still generally enough for four persons with luggage (23 cu ft, almost twice the size of the trunk on the sedan).

The Fiesta selling now is substantially changed since I shopped subcompacts (and chose the Fit instead) so I can go only on specifications. For the Fiesta, the specs are pretty much the same as other offerings in this sub-compact DOT size category.

Fiesta hatchback is almost the same size package as the Fit, so less roomy than the larger Focus. Hatchback has 25 cu ft in cargo mode, only 14 cu ft behind the second seat, about the space of the trunk in a compact sedan. Power on the standard 1.6 liter engine is adequate for the lighter weight of the car, but with only 120 HP you'll feel the difference when the car is loaded with 4-5 adults.

Since both are in rental fleets, I vote for the rental suggestion. Not one day, but a weekend rental with at least one day of that a road trip. I can usually figure out if a car has handling and performance I want in a short test drive in town and on empty country roads. What I tend to miss is how a car I enjoy driving around town is going to feel after 8 to 10 hours on the highway for 2-3 days in a row.

Not sure what you mean by "drive nicely" because my number one driving criterion for a small car is rather "is it fun to drive" and number two is "can I live with how this feels for a whole day of 60-80 mph cruising." If "nicely" means soft ride and quiet comfort, that will be when I am shopping for a much larger car (or truck).

My experience with Fords since early 1990s has been that they are reliable and well built. But that's three trucks. My Fords have done much better than the two Dodges, one Chevy, two Oldsmobiles, the BMW and the Audi. About the same as the two Hondas, the Mazda and the Toyota. My son-in-law buys his Fords at the 100K to 150K mileage point, and puts on another 100,000 miles.

But the real issue is whether you, not somebody else, can live with how the car drives, fits, and feels. I've gotten rid of three different cars earlier than my usual 5-8 years because I could not sit in them for 10 hours at a time without back pain or butt pain. Others fit my needs so well that I kept them for more than 12 years, even if that meant some repairs to keep them going.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Viewfinder
Explorer
Explorer
I pull a 2013 Focus HB with Selectshift 6 speed auto trans and PB start. Battery disconnect and power for aux brakes required. What year are you thinking about? Look in owners manual under recreational towing not towing to see what is required. Tows well, fun to drive, good mpg.

jim

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
We used a 2011 Fiesta (manual transmission) as our toad. Incredibly easy, didn't even need to leave the key in the ignition (due to manual transmission). Can only say great things about it! Roomy enough for DH and I to be comfortable, with rear seats down remarkable space - and a much larger trunk than would be imagined. Just be certain either can be towed 4 down with automatic transmission. May require something extra to make it happen (not talking about going through the gears!).
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
My SIL has a 2005 with 160,000 miles on it. Considering it has been owned by countless people, including two corporations, and had lots of delayed maint by the last owner (my wifes co), it's an amazingly good little car still.
It doesnt use any oil, has original shocks (still fair) and runs great. She just traded it in and the dealer told her the trans was going out (uh huh).
I replaced the eng mounts, T-stat housing, lift gate struts and a mirror someone side-swiped. It doesn't even leak anything.
It probably had another 50K in it!

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Drive both. You may even want to rent each one for a day.

That's good advice. ๐Ÿ˜‰

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Drive both. You may even want to rent each one for a day.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Dinghy Towing forum from Towing.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine