cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chucking....is it the trailer or the truck?

Lightning55
Explorer
Explorer
I know this has been discussed a thousand times and there are a thousand opinions about it's cause and remedy, but I can't continue to keep changing everything or buying new equipment in hopes of correcting the problem. I have to believe that it has something to do with relationship between the truck and trailer (weight, wheel base, axle-suspension location, or the like). I tow a 37' 5th wheel with a GMC 2500HD Duramax short bed. It was so bad over bumps that I dreaded towing this rig. I finally installed a Moryde pin box and it really did help. It doesn't fix the chucking but dampens it enough to make a difference but I can still feel it and I know it's hard on my equipment. I've changed pin weight, leveled the FW, installed Bilstein shocks and nothing has really changed anything except the rubber pinbox. It is so common with 5th wheels that I'm really surprised that some industry mechanical engineers haven't figured out what's really the cause of this condition. Maybe someone out there has some information that I haven't read about yet?
55 REPLIES 55

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
OK - You guys have done it again. :M
Thread closed.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
I said great ,yes the wife is priority. It involved into a hitch bashing thread, and whatever else . Regardless of what you are saying , this is about chucking. We will leave it at that.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
ependydad wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
I think you will have to admit,that chucking is still there, and that trailer saver is eating up the jerking . You just don't get to feel it.

Does the chucking exist? I don't care. What does it matter if the chucking is there or not? Yeah, I see the trailer moving around back behind me on the hitch.

Did the ride improve? Absolutely and that's all that matters to me. I don't look in the passenger seat and see my wife crying due to back pain.

She didn't have that with the B&W in all of the years we had it (on our prior trailer nor on the current one). The Andersen wrecked her back. And she doesn't have it again with the Trailer Saver.

Thats great, but you are now defensive, when something is pointed out. I made a point , you have chucking. You masked it. Can that jerking do the trailer any good ???

On edit: Have you done anything to try ,and find out what the real problem is . Sounds like you all you are doing is throwing expensive hitches at it.

How did you get that I was defensive. My statement is my reality- I don't care about the chucking if it doesn't translate into the cab of the truck. My wife is my top priority.

In prior posts, you said you're going to have chucking no matter what, what is the point of this discussion? I'm not talking about having chucking or not, I'm talking about ride in the truck.

As for trying to fix it? The problem is it's a toy hauler fifth wheel with 15% pin weight. The back is where the weight is and I can't do anything to change that (the room is my kids' bedroom with furniture and belongings making up the bulk of the weight).
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
I think you will have to admit,that chucking is still there, and that trailer saver is eating up the jerking . You just don't get to feel it.

Does the chucking exist? I don't care. What does it matter if the chucking is there or not? Yeah, I see the trailer moving around back behind me on the hitch.

Did the ride improve? Absolutely and that's all that matters to me. I don't look in the passenger seat and see my wife crying due to back pain.

She didn't have that with the B&W in all of the years we had it (on our prior trailer nor on the current one). The Andersen wrecked her back. And she doesn't have it again with the Trailer Saver.

Thats great, but you are now defensive, when something is pointed out. I made a point , you have chucking. You masked it. Can that jerking do the trailer any good ???

On edit: Have you done anything to try ,and find out what the real problem is . Sounds like you all you are doing is throwing expensive hitches at it.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
"That apples to apples comparison probably doesn't sit well with the B&W fan club."

Shoot, sounds like us B&W fanboys will love it, since he comments on how well the B&W hitch worked for him. I mean the only reason he gave to get rid of it was it was slightly under rated for his trailer.

Quote: "The B&W worked and gave us a good ride."

Tough to argue with a good review.

I misunderstood what he said, I stand corrected. Thanks.
Really, blaming chucking on hitches, inflation etc. sure they can contribute, but If the truth was known , its just the combination truck ,and trailer. When someone does everything, and then goes to an air ride hitch ,what does that tell you , he just masked the problem .

MorRyde does the same thing, why do you think it moves fore, and aft, its taking up any chucking . How many times have we heard I went to a MorRyde , and it helped. Sure it did it masked the problem., same with a Trailer Saver

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
"That apples to apples comparison probably doesn't sit well with the B&W fan club."

Shoot, sounds like us B&W fanboys will love it, since he comments on how well the B&W hitch worked for him. I mean the only reason he gave to get rid of it was it was slightly under rated for his trailer.

I had a 18k Companion in my 2011 RAM DRW towing our 18k Mobile Suites. Then the MS gained weight. At 19k I had ZERO reason to replace the hitch as there is always a Factor built into any rating especially as B&W is VERY conservative on their ratings.

I would have never changed out his hitch. Simply look at the B&W he had and the ANDERSEN he replaced it with. Anyone with 1/2 a brain would pick the B&W without knowing the "ratings".
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
Got it, I thought it was one of those pin boxes with the air bag. So the B&W was not the solution either, it sounds like it was after the Andersen before the trailer saver.

The B&W worked and gave us a good ride. I got rid of in and got the Andersen due to the weight of the trailer (21k) being over the ratings of my particular B&W (20k). I used it for a couple of months before switching.

I sold the B&W and went to the Andersen for 4 months and it was terrible for me/my setup.

I then went to the Trailer Saver air ride hitch.

I'm one of the "lucky" few who have had both the Andersen and the B&W with the same truck and same trailer. I got to give it an apples-to-apples comparison.

That apples to apples comparison probably doesn't sit well with the B&W fan club.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
Only way to prevent chucking is ask owners that have a glass smooth ride what truck they're towing with and what trailer they're towing. Then go buy that stuff.

Thats pretty much my point, go buy a 38' Montana fifth wheel . Ram 3500, your choice of hitches, it makes no difference I tow with two different ones , and you will have no chucking :B

Oh! ,and run your tires 80 psi rear ,and 60 psi front :W Thats towing

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Only way to prevent chucking is ask owners that have a glass smooth ride what truck they're towing with and what trailer they're towing. Then go buy that stuff.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
I am sure its a contributing factor, but way too much emphasis but on that, its a lot of times the nature of the beast. So EVERYONE that has a CURT hitch has some chucking ,yes, or no ?????. Then if no then its got to be tire inflation, yes, or no ????. Then if its no then what is causing the chucking . Ya I do a kick out of it .

How about the poor smuck that does everything right, and still has the chucking ,after getting rid of say a CURT hitch because you blamed it on a hitch.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I get a "kick" out of people saying a CURT hitch or wrong tire inflation has nothing to do with chucking.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
My wife will say to me whats wrong, and I will say its the road, and then things smooth up again, after a few of those she understands now how this works.

I get a big kick out of all the speculation on here, everything from tire inflation to Curt hitches that cause this chucking. Its a combination that hitches inflation of tires, nothing is going to cure it, sure these air ride hitches ,and pin boxes may mask it , but its still there. It isn't miraculously going away when you install an air ride , its just masking it .