cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CRV 2WD or AWD does it matter?

JayGee
Explorer
Explorer
I am about to buy a 2014 CRV and really do not care whether it is a 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive. Are both towable 4 down or should I be selective?

What are you towing, 2 or 4 wheel drive?
Jaygee

2005 Bounder 35E on F53 chassis
6 REPLIES 6

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Getting a 4wd just gives you more options about where/when to go.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Robocop
Explorer
Explorer
I lucked out buying my CR-V. It was a standard shift and AWD. A rare option. I love driving it and it tows great.
Scott

2011 Sunseeker 3170DSF
2002 Honda CR-V toad

"Courage is the thing. All goes if courage goes."
"Do not mistake my benevolence for weakness."

cire
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 2014 2WD CRV. I had a 99 CRV with 4WD for over 9 years. I never really needed the AWD capability. It only slipped into 4WD accidentally when passing through gravel a few times. A couple of things to add to the discussion that hasn't been mentioned:

The AWD is about $1300 more and it gets 1 MPG less. If you keep the car for 200k miles you will use use ABOUT 200-250 gallons more fuel. On the plus side you will get better resale on an AWD. After 200k miles the difference in resale will likely be negligible.

Good luck and happy trails,
Eric Perplies
full timing since 6/04 with best friend and wife: Suzie
1996 Bluebird Wanderlodge, 42'
towing a 14' Honda CRV

aerbus32
Explorer II
Explorer II
Both are towable as long as it's not a 2015. Our 2010 is 4wd. (Owner's manual states it is a soft road vehicle as opposed to an off-road vehicle.). We bought a 4wd, little tough to find in So Cal, because we do tow it to areas where weather actually happens. Great, dependable car, especially for towing behind a gas engine RV due to their relatively light weight. I would caution you that some models tend to run the battery down when being towed. I got around this by replacing the original battery with the best Costco had to offer. No issues since then.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 1999 CRV all wheel drive. I really never needed 4 wheel drive. I do not drive in the snow or ice, where it would be really handy.

The few times I was off road I could have picked not to drive in the sandy stuff, and go around. But it was 'fun' for those few times I took it through a sandy wash, and had traction all the way. It does not have enough ground clearance to take on a serious off road path, where 4X4 is required, because of the boulders and deep ruts.

The 4x4 does get about 1 MPG less than the front wheel drive model. It is also going to be about 200 pounds more curb weight. 4 WD also does add a little bit to the cost to buy it. When you need tires, all 4 should be replaced, due to the center differential, it will overheat if all the tires are not the same outside diameter. So it can be slightly more expensive to own.

Good luck!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

ronfisherman
Both are OK for towing 4 down.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD