cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Equal-i-zer

burnmark
Explorer
Explorer
We just switched from a basic WDH with friction sway control to an Equal-i-zer. This was due to some uncomfortable towing issues with the new TT.
If you have considered this move, it is night and day for balance, control and comfort driving. Wish I had done this long ago.
2006 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 5.9 Cummins - Pacbrake - Smarty Jr
2011 Mesa Ridge
5 REPLIES 5

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
I went from an old school style Reese WDH (with the chains) and friction sway bar to the Equal-i-zer as well. However, I do not notice any difference towing. Both gave me a comfortable ride. Part of that might be due to my tow vehicle. The advantage of the Equal-i-zer over the standard Reese is, no need for the sway bar any more, and can back-up without having to first remove that sway bar. Disadvantage of the Equal-i-zer? It pops a lot, which I finally accepted as normal. I did purchase a set of those pads that fit on the trailer frame (L bracket) that's suppose to help reduce that popping. I can't say that insert makes any difference either. However, after having both, if someone offered me 2 brand new one (Reese or Equal-i-zer) for the exact same cost, I'd now take the Equal-i-zer.

But what you are comparing is apples to oranges! Reese has the Dual Cam system which is integrated like the Equal-I-Zer is, though a different design. Reese also has a system which is very similar to the Equal-I-zer 4 way sytem called the SC (I think it is). Both of those Reese systems allow you to back up just like the Equal-I-Zer system without removing anything.

I do agree with the basic system you had comared to the integrated system you now have. While I haven't used an Equal-I-Zer system, my buddy has one, and if I had to choose between the Reese DC/SC or the Equal-I-Zer 4 way system it would not be easy!
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I went from an old school style Reese WDH (with the chains) and friction sway bar to the Equal-i-zer as well. However, I do not notice any difference towing. Both gave me a comfortable ride. Part of that might be due to my tow vehicle. The advantage of the Equal-i-zer over the standard Reese is, no need for the sway bar any more, and can back-up without having to first remove that sway bar. Disadvantage of the Equal-i-zer? It pops a lot, which I finally accepted as normal. I did purchase a set of those pads that fit on the trailer frame (L bracket) that's suppose to help reduce that popping. I can't say that insert makes any difference either. However, after having both, if someone offered me 2 brand new one (Reese or Equal-i-zer) for the exact same cost, I'd now take the Equal-i-zer.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Very happy with our Equalizer.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
You did the right thing. The Equalizer and a couple of other mid priced integrated WD/sway control systems can add great comfort to towing resulting in a much more enjoyable experience. I use a Reese HP Dual Cam system and like you previously had the friction bar before and the difference is just astounding. After 8 years of using it I still enjoy the journey.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep. You made a great move. Congrats on a smart choice.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board