cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time camping in bear country in popup.

TrueBlueKC
Explorer
Explorer
We're heading to RMNP in 2 weeks and staying at East Portal campground in a popup for 3 nights.(Then down to Dillon lake for 2 nights then down to lake Pueblo for a night) I have a couple questions concerning bears.

I know not to cook or eat in the pup and keep a clean site and store food locked in the TV or a bear box. What about using the fridge in the pup?

We usually use a porta-potti in a shower tent and I am thinking that may not be a good idea due to the scent of the chemicals. Should we skip the outhouse?
17 Ram 2500 6.4L
33 REPLIES 33

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Storing food in the TV when a bear box is available..hmmm. Want to see some pictures? Try "bears in cars Yosemite"
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I great many places I have camped have bears that might roam through even crowded campgrounds at night. Glacier NP is a prime example. There a grizzly is just as likely as a brown bear. There are exacting requirements posted on signs, at camper check in locations and at each campground. Not even water bottles are allowed left on picnic tables. You are required to clean up everything and put it away. Popups and even tents are allowed.

susan-y
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the "bear" places I camp do not allow soft sided rv's. Have you checked to make sure you can camp there? I'm with the bacon on your neighbor trick 😉
[purple]Life looks better through a windshield.
[/purple]
2008 Winnebago View

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Throw a pound of bacon on top of the neighbors RV???

I don't know but I'd be worried about it too.