cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Five years, not sour grapes

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
Since 2011 we have volunteered as camp hosts. Four years at two state parks and this year, a federal park. The names will not be used to protect the innocent.

It has been our experience during our combined 18 volunteering months that the park employees have used us to do their jobs. While we worked they relaxed. Either sitting in the back room or their offices they relaxed. While we did not want to be micro managed we feel the employees participation in THEIR jobs would have been nice. We enjoy the autonomy but we do not feel our purpose is to do their jobs completely.

Here is an example: At our latest position, the federal one, we come into work and for our scheduled hours, we are on our own. While a ranger is nearby, none is at our immediate work site. We trained for about three hours on the first day then we became "it". We are very capable people each having worked important jobs prior to retirement with much more responsibility than this position. The paid employees disappear until the end of the day and reappear only when it is time to go home.

I know you all might think I am crazy. Our complaint is that the job of unpaid volunteers is to supplement the location's staff not to replace them. Some places act as though the volunteers are there to provide them with time to sit around and do nothing.

It is also worth noting that the required hours for the full hookup RV spots is increasing. At this park the requirement is now 32 hours PER PERSON! Figure it out, 256 hours a month for a couple makes the equivalent amount, even at minimum wage, almost $1,900 a month for the spot. As retired people we have no desire to have full time jobs
32 REPLIES 32

Clarryhill
Explorer
Explorer
Certainly don't think you're crazy, but not getting the point, I guess. Are you saying that you ended up working more hours than you agreed to or didn't receive the bennies that you expected?
2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think you're crazy. And, I don't think you're helping anyone by NOT providing the names of the parks.

Do you know what the paid employees are suppose to be doing and, what they actually do?.
Maybe they are doing their job, and maybe not.

Sometimes you have to call it like you see it.

Fulltimer50
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if they are just doing what they normally do?
George

2011 F350 PSD CC LB 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 5th Wheel