cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Go bigger with tires or not?

Bushc78
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking of upgrading my tires on my TT it currently has 205 Road Rider load range C. My two options are simply replace the C's with Maxxis D's and be done or to go up in size to a 225 load range D in Maxxis but if I do this I will have to buy wider wheels. I tow between 65-70mph and I figure the larger diameter will help yes I know all trailer tires are only rated for 65mph. Also the TT sits slightly nose high attacted to the truck with the hitch bottomed out so the larger tires will help a little bit.
3 REPLIES 3

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
If you can afford it, getting the 225 Maxxis and new rims would be the best way to go. The 225 is about 1 1/4" taller than the 205 so also make sure there's enough space between them when on the trailer. You might be able to find some aluminum rims that are 6" wide.
As mentioned, be sure to have the new tires balanced and install steel valve stems.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

Bushc78
Explorer
Explorer
According to Dexstars website they are rated at 80 psi but only 1820 lbs.

johnrbd
Explorer
Explorer
To get full benefit of the higher rated tires, you may have to also upgrade the rims. Tires and rims on trailer normally are matched. Check the rims (may have to remove a tire and look in the "valley" area of the rim) for psi rating or weight rating.

If you are going to tow 65+ you better have tires aired to the max or heat will eventually cause a blowout.

Don't forget to also balance and have stainless steel valve stems installed.