cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help regarding blowouts

JaxCat
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks. Just joined and am looking forward to participating in the forum.

I have a tire question, but first a bit of back story. We bought a 2008 Winnebago Aspect 23D about 6 years ago for my mother-in-law to use. She used it infrequently, and made up for it by neglecting maintenance and, when forced to, cheaped out on everything. We took it back a few months ago so we could use it, and have been playing catch-up on things that were broken or long ignored.

What has me flummoxed is that it has had at least 4 blowouts on the rear tires in the last couple of years, including 2 since we took it back. The tires are Dextero and are properly rated in terms of load, speed, and temperature. When we got it back, the tires were grossly underinflated and had been driven more than 500 hundred miles that way, so I am guessing that heat buildup during the underinflated driving damaged the sidewalls.

We have a 1000+ mile trip coming up, and I certainly don't want another episode of smoking rubber at a rest area. My default is to just replace all the tires. They have a lot of tread on them but I don't know the age. (My wife is currently out of town, waiting for roadside assistance to replace a tire, so I can't look up the production date.)

Any words of wisdom?
15 REPLIES 15

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Replace them all without doubt. Age and abuse almost guarantee failure
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73