cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hot Water Heater Bypass

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had a 3 valve system and a one valve system but I have never had a two valve system. I am beginning the process of winterizing and want to bypass the hot water heater and am a little perplexed.

Cold line in on the bottom, Hot line on the top. If I shut the cold line valve it would stop water from going into the hot water tank but wouldn't it stop the water from circulating?

What are your thoughts
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.
19 REPLIES 19

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
I never thought of the cold valve being a two way valve I was thinking of and off and on. Thanks for the input.
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
newman fulltimer wrote:
both handles point up for bypass

What ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ he said! (Or, the top valve may POSSIBLY point down instead.)
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
both handles point up for bypass

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
The bottom is a two way valve, it either lets through straight or shuts off straight and sends it the other way like it should. The top valve is an on/off valve only. If you send water upward with the bottom valve, you want to make sure the top valve is shut off.

Once you have them set to go up on the bottom, and not go into the HWT on the top, you will send cold water to all your taps, both hot and cold. HWT will be bypassed.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is like that. There is a check valve in the hot line coming out of the tank. Stops backflow into tank.

With the valves set to bypass cold water will still circulate to everything except the water heater tank.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)