cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How level should your trailer be when towing?

imq707s
Explorer
Explorer
I have my truck/trailer set up about as good as I can....but the trailer is still a little "nose high". I have the load bars tensioned so that the truck is just about perfectly level while towing.....and I have the ball dropped down as low as I can get it on the hitch bar....but the trailer still is a few inches high in the front, and not perfectly level.

The only real solution I can see is that I need to buy a longer drop hitch bar, so I can move the ball mount down a few more holes. I'm assuming that getting the trailer closer to level will also make the load distribution bars work better....keeping my truck level and being able to use less tension on them. Right now I pretty much have to have them maxed out to keep the truck level.

Should I but a tow bar with more of a drop so I can set the ball lower and get the trailer perfectly level.....or should I just tow it the way it is?

Any advice would be great!!

Here is a picture....you can see that the front of the trailer is slightly higher than the rear.....I think lowering the ball 1.5"-2" would do the trick.

Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

17 REPLIES 17

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yes, sounds like you will need a shank with more adjustment. A TT will tow best when level, to slightly nose-down.

Nice looking rig,
Jerry

imq707s
Explorer
Explorer
That's pretty much how I have the truck set up....I have it around 1/2"-1" lower in the back with the trailer hooked up vs. no trailer at all. In order to get the trailer level, the rear of the truck would have to be squatted down so low that it would almost be on the bump stops. I think the truck is right where it's supposed to be....it's the nose of the trailer that is too high, but I can't lower the ball down any more on the current shank that I have....it's at the lowest position. A longer shank would allow me to drop the ball down a little.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
The piece on the hitch that is adjustable for ball height is called the shank. The instructions for my WDH called for adjustment of tension so that the truck is 1" down from unloaded height. It is possible that the hitch joint can be so stiff as to unload the truck rear tires which is not safe. You might try relieving some tension from your bars and see how it drives and looks.

Extra long shanks are available. My son had to purchase one but his truck was lifted.