cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping with CPAP

dufferdj
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, I know I'm not the only one out there that RV's without electrical hookups in the National Parks and elsewhere. I've been diagnosed with some sleep apnea issues and will most likely be fit with either a CPAP or BiPAP machine. What do boondocks and other RVer's do to get by this issue with as little of an inconvenience as possible. Will the 2 batteries in my RV power any units using the inverter or are there battery powered CPAP/BiPAP units available? If so, how much battery life do they suck up? Are solar panels a necessity for recharging any batteries? Thanks for any and all responses.
13 REPLIES 13

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
I also take both cords along on trips. If something goes wrong with the 12V cord, I can run the CPAP with the 110V cord and my small portable inverter.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I just have a problem with using an converter to change 12v up to 110v, and then changing it back to 12v to run the machine. Always seemed a lot smarter just to run 12v machine from 12v source. BUT, even though my CPAP is running on 12v, I do carry the 110v power cord with us. We had to leave the MH one night for a motel and didn't have it. Fortunely, I also carry a back-up CPAP in case of emergency.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

wearenh
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought the $70 12V cord for my ResMed S9 and I keep it in the RV, that
way I can leave the 115V cord at home and only move the box...Ive never had an
issue with it draining the batteries too much and we drycamp almost all of the time

Clicky
2007 Gulf Stream 6211 (21' Shorty) Ford E350 V10
sometimes with #14 Racecar (18' KwikLoad Rollback)
sometimes with two gaited horses (Featherlite 9407)
sometimes just us camping with our dogs

dufferdj
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all of you that replied to my request for information about traveling with CPAP/BiPap machines, especially 2oldman for the link to 7 pages of info. You have given me a lot to think about and the information to ask intelligent questions of my provider to make sure that I get a unit that is compatible with the 12V system. Once again the RV.Netters came through....

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
The 12v direct plug-in he by far the easiest way to go, and if you are getting a new machine, tell you provider that you need that ability. All of the Respirontics units are, but some providers will not provide that brand. There is nothing that prevents you from shopping providers. I did find that the new Dreamstation does require a new 12v adapter cord, as the plug is not the same as previous models. And it will probably be cheaper to get a cord on the internet than from the Durable Equipment provider. They charge about double, and insurance does not cover it.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
use the humidifier in passover mode, not heated, and no issues.
bumpy

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I called ResMed about 12VDC for their model S7 a few years ago. They said "Sure we have an adapter but I'd just get a little 150 watt inverter." I asked "MSW OK?" and again "Sure."

Went with a 400 watt Cobra MSW with two outlets and a USB charging port. Worked fine, didn't work hard enough to make the fan run, so no whirr. We went a little bigger to be able to do other things with it. I've heard the switching power supplies for laptop PC's don't play well with MSW, but no trouble there either.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Marine_By_Choic
Explorer
Explorer
When boondocking we hook up a portable solar charger to keep batteries topped off.

My wife's BiPAP is 110V only, so we use an inverter I bought on sale at Love'S Travel Center for $29.95 with rebate. I installed a 12V plug by steps and run an extension cord to bedroom.

Works perfect. We have boondocked for 11 days in Baja Mexico and never missed a beat!

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
My CPAP makes very little difference in my RV battery usage. I use the humidifier but not the heater, so no additional draw there.

My prior CPAP was 12VDC so a direct plug in to 12V was easy. My new one is 24VDC, so until I buy the 12 to 24VDC adapter, I use a basic inverter (even tho the CPAP documentation says it may not run on a square wave inverter, it seems to be ok). Will probably order the manufacture's recommended 12-24VDC adapter and eliminate the extra DC to AC to DC dance.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
X2 on what Bordercollie says, except that I camp in very dry country and often need the humidifier.

I can run my 12V CPAP for 3 or 4 nights with humidifier. I conserve on other uses of power: minimize water pump use, have LED lights, etc. I carry a Duracell 600 Portable Power unit in case backup is needed. My RV has no generator, no solar.

You will need to experiment to see how your setup and your camping style mesh with CPAP use. Ease into it.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
That long thread has a lot of good info and some questionable opinions. My cardiologist many years ago had me go through a sleep study and they found serious sleep apnea where I stopped breathing for periods of time, many times per night. This condition can lead to heart disease or make heart disease worse.
The brand and model of CPAP machine that I use, is designed to run directly off of a 12 volts DC as well as 120vac. The 12 volt cord plugs into a receptacle in the back of the unit. Many CPAP units will not run directly off of 12vdc battery and are designed to run off a special portable battery and 120vac inverter pack. Check carefully on 12 vdc (camping/emergency power) option, before buying a CPAP device. Removable heated humidifiers require 120vdc power and draw heavier current. I have never needed to use a humidifier.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
The CPAP draws little power off the battery(s). I installed an inexpensive inverter by the bed in our fiver while repairing some water damage, it works well. We did run into a problem once when the battery died, the charge circuit fuse in the truck was popped so ensure the battery is fully charged when setting up for the night.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
CPAP and batteries 2016
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman