cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many Miles Expected on PW Excel?

john6012
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to look at a 2009 Pleasure Way Excel with 49,000 miles. The owner wants $45,000 for the RV which is reasonable according to NADA.
My question is, how many miles can I expect to drive-life expectancy? It has the V8 engine and other than miles at 49,000 it has no scratches, dents, etc and has been stored in a garage.
John6012
4 REPLIES 4

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depends on how well you maintain the vehicle. Modern motors maintained and not abused are capable of 300k miles.

ajriding
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a 1995 E series van chassis with the 460 V-8. It was pushing 300,000 when I got hit and totaled. The motor ran perfect and trans was good. regular maintenance was always done on the vehicle.
The camper was probably 13,000 lbs weight.
49,000 is nothing.

These Fords will not see issues until well after 130,000 miles.

The camper build is typically junky, but it should hold up the life of the vehicle. You will need to do regular maintenance on it also, especially re-caulking the roof seams and exterior seams with LAP sealant every year or two. If this has never been done then likely a good chance some water leaks have occurred. Not a death sentence, but you want to know what is happening. Some leaks are easy to repair, some are so big you just assume drive it off a cliff as to repair it.

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
We used to own a Pleasure-Way Excel, they are well-built and a quality coach, the price seems a little high but if it's in great shape go for it. The factory is always available for any questions you might have and you will be a happy owner. There is a PW users club that used to headquartered in California, don't know if it's still there or not but check it out to share ideas and compare notes; their annual rallies were fun events.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
It appears that it's built on the Ford E series chassis, like the majority of class C's. With reasonable maintenance, it would not be out of line to expect the basic drivetrain to last, say, 200k miles or more without needing major repairs. The chassis is used in many vehicles, ranging from vans to shuttle busses to ambulances to box trucks.

You're more likely to wear out the house part of the RV than the chassis. Of course, if maintenance is neglected long enough, the chassis can wear out prematurely; and there will be some repairs and replacement of things that wear out along the way. It is also possible to get unlucky and end up with the very rare lemon, as with any vehicle. But for the most part the chassis and engine and transmission are fairly reliable and bulletproof.