cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jeep “Death Wobble”

fotodog
Explorer
Explorer
I want to share my experience towing a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, as it might help others avoid the problems I have encountered when towing. It’s known as the Jeep Death Wobble, which I’m sure some of you know about since it’s well documented on the internet. It also affects other model Jeeps including Wranglers, and some other vehicles with fixed front axles such as Fords.

I have towed my Cherokee for 3 years with no problems using a Ready Brake hitch, but had my first bad experience a month ago when braking moderately hard for a stop light at about 40 MPH. I suddenly felt the entire coach rocking back and forth. I pulled over, made a full inspection, but couldn’t find anything that looked out of place. I slowly went to my RV mechanic, and after trying to duplicate the problem with multiple test drives with and without the Jeep, we couldn’t find any problems. We both concluded that the surge brake system might have temporarily stuck, since I haven’t driven my RV much over the last year.

2 weeks ago I started a trip to Arizona, and while traveling at 65 MPH hit a bad bump on the freeway. Once again the coach started shaking violently. I had to pull over, and noticed in my rear view camera that the Jeep was swerving back and forth. Once I started up again, everything was normal, and I slowly proceeded to my next stop.

I was on the phone the next morning, and to make a long story short, eventually found out about this condition. For towing, it specifically affects 2014 - 2016 Cherokee’s, but from what I’ve read was corrected on some later 2016 models. Jeep has issued a fix, which is a wiring harness which provides power to the steering system while towing to compensate for the wobble. There is a switch installed inside the center console which much be activated when towing, and a 10 amp inline mini fuse under the hood which also must be installed. Both of these must be deactivated when not towing, in the proper sequence.

I had the harness installed in Arizona, and everything worked well on the return trip. The downside is that your Jeep batttery can be drained after several hours, so I’ll have the wiring installed to provide a charge while towing.

I love this Cherokee otherwise, it’s one of my all time favorite vehicles. Just be aware of this problem if you own one, as the results can be dangerous.
Tim, my wife Li, and Snickers and Ziggy the Wonder Kitties

2008 Tiffen Allegro 30DA, Workhorse W22 Chassis, Allison 6 speed, Chevy 8.1L V8
2015 Jeep Cherokee with Blue Ox baseplate & ReadyBrake system

http://www.timandrews.com/ My photography web site
16 REPLIES 16

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes it is a problem that was addressed. One question, is your tow bar level or at an angle? it needs to be dead level with the Jeeps. otherwise if its at an angle it will slightly unload the front wheels causing the wobble.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
I think I would classify this as sway. I have only heard/used the death wobble phrase when describing actually driving the vehicle.