cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having to move on.

TEO
Explorer
Explorer
My other half (not necessarily better or worse) has decreed that our days of travel via motor home is at an end and pressure is being applied to sell our beloved (by me) Class A. We got into camping in a class A in 1987 and had a grand time. I still believe that there are more great times ahead. There is way to much of North America that I have yet to visit.

What is the next step? What do you go to when your passion has been ripped away? Flower garden? I think not! What are your thoughts for aa life after camping? 😞

Paul & Helen

2002 Winnebago Journey DL:)
1999 Jeep Cherokee toad :C
Yellow Lab, Jodie, Chocolate Lab, Coco :B, and Lab/Golden mix, Sandy.:B
FMCA 98905
http://ptempesta.blogspot.com
29 REPLIES 29

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
There are many groups out there (my first thought is "MeetUp", where I found my kayaking groups) that you could join and do the occasional camping trip as a solo? Or - as a seasoned RVer, you could offer your services to newbies "We'll meet at the campground, and I'll help you set up your rig". Or maybe you could find another (male) kindred spirit who would love to go with you. You might not travel/camp as often as you would have done in the past, but there ARE ways to continue as a solo and still have people around who would help you in the event of a problem

(In MY case, Ed loves car auctions. He will fly off to a Barrett-Jackson event; I stay home, eat the pasta he dislikes, and watch chick-flicks. We each get some "me time" on our own agendas - and it never hurts to realize you actually miss the other person while they're gone)
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds to me like it's time for a sit down with you wife to delve into what she really wants to do with the rest of the time she has on the planet in an effort to try and find something you can both enjoy together. Maybe there are some things you're both willing to try that doesn't require a lot of traveling.

Not applicable
pnichols wrote:
DownTheAvenue wrote:
No spouse should dictate to the other one what he or she can or cannot do.

True .... but each spouse does has a heavy and serious responsibility to consider the impact on the other for each and every they thing that they may want to do, or not want to do.

Marriage is not about "me", it's about the "other" ... then amazingly the "me" ultimately gets taken care of. 😉

Said perfectly!!
Me
DW
DS
DS
Oscar
Buddyboy

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
DownTheAvenue wrote:
No spouse should dictate to the other one what he or she can or cannot do.

True .... but each spouse does have a heavy and serious responsibility to consider the impact on the other for each and every they thing that they may want to do, or not want to do.

Marriage is not about "me", it's about the "other" ... then amazingly the "me" ultimately gets taken care of. 😉
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
No spouse should dictate to the other one what he or she can or cannot do. If the wife wants to take ballet lessons, is the husband required to also take the same lessons? I don't think anyone here would say "yes." The same with camping. If the wife wants to stay home for whatever reason, that does not then mean the husband has to stay home as well. He should be free to go if he so chooses with his wife's blessings. If he chooses to stay home with his wife, then that is his decision which he cannot blame his wife for any consequences of that decision.

rightlaneonly
Explorer
Explorer
I'll look at this a little differently. In my life before becoming a widower after 40 years of marriage, I did a lot by myself because my interest were different from hers. Now given a second chance with a wonderful woman I'm not about to go it alone. She, right after Jesus Christ, is the most important thing in my life and I don't intend to miss a moment I'm granted with her. If it means selling the rig and sitting on the porch in a swing. In my mind, what's important is whom you're with not where you are.
Lee & Jane
Ford died once to often.
Replaced with 2019 GMC Canyon
Aliner, soon to be gone.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
My wife said if I go camping one more time, she's leaving.

I'm gonna miss that woman.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are currently waiting for medical test results that could bring an end to our fulltime RV'ing lifestyle. We would probably still be able to manage some short 5-6 day trips, but things like wintering in Florida, etc., will be out. We're holding off on any decisions regarding keeping our Class A or downsizing to a B or small TT until we know the full extent of her situation and hoping for the best. But we are wondering what we'll be doing to fill the time gaps if it comes to that.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Not applicable
TEO wrote:
My other half (not necessarily better or worse) has decreed that our days of travel via motor home is at an end and pressure is being applied to sell our beloved (by me) Class A. We got into camping in a class A in 1987 and had a grand time. I still believe that there are more great times ahead. There is way to much of North America that I have yet to visit.

What is the next step? What do you go to when your passion has been ripped away? Flower garden? I think not! What are your thoughts for aa life after camping? 😞

What does DW want to do? Still travel or stay put?
Me
DW
DS
DS
Oscar
Buddyboy

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
bucky wrote:
All of our days are numbered. I love my wife and family but I'm not going to sit around and babysit grandkids until I die. Go by yourself if you want to is my vote.
X-2, it all depends on how attached you are to "The Other Half". 😉
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
What you can/should do will depend on the reasoning behind your wife's desire to quit travelling in a class A.

X2. There have been a number of posts like this and if you can find an underlying reason there's a chance you can fix it.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
The other half....

NO you can't go alone....period.
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
If the open road is still calling you... I say keep the RV and go alone or with a friend. At least go a few short trips and see how it plays out.

Otherwise you will be as miserable sitting at home as DW is on the road.

MURPHY55347
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I both agreed that when either of us got tired of the MH thing we would communicate our feelings. It's better than going and one of you hating it or not having a good time. I personally would feel really strange about camping by myself. Find out why she no longer a enjoys it and make your decision. Maybe it's just time to move on to a new chapter in your life.