cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

new towed vehicle - Jeep Wrangler

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, for various reasons, we have decided to pull the trigger, and trade one of our older vehicles for a Jeep Wrangler. Wife and I both have always loved Jeeps, wanted to one day own one, and now we going to make that happen. ๐Ÿ™‚

Part of what motivated this as well was the fact that we live way out in the country where it is very hilly, and are finding that when it snows here, they do not plow or salt any of the roads. Hilly roads, unplowed and unsalted when it snows means, without a 4x4, you aren't getting out when it snows or roads get bad.

We went with this silver 2018 Unlimited Sport model (JK). I wanted one that was built on a ladder frame (not unibody), so that was why we didn't look for anything newer than 2018, and wanted a JK model.

We already have the Ford Taurus we tow behind the RV (4 down), and it is working fine. However, I definitely am planning on setting the new Jeep up to flat tow as well, as there are places we go where we'll want the Jeep instead of the Taurus.

At any rate, that brings us to what I wanted to talk about here: Setting up a Jeep Wrangler for flat towing. We use the Readybrute/Readybrake on the Taurus, so will be setting up the Jeep with the Readybrake and Readystop cables. I will probably get a Cooltech wiring harness and wire in the Jeep tailights for flat towing. Any hints, suggestions on installing the wiring harness and readybrake cable, would be welcome. ๐Ÿ™‚

What I'm mostly struggling with right now has to do with the base plate set up in the front. I see a couple options:

1. Replace front bumper with one that allows you to bolt the Blue Ox brackets directly to the front, like the Rock Hard 4x4 Patriot or Rugged Ridge Spartan bumper. Really like this idea, but problem is, unless you spend a ton of $$ on an aluminum bumper, you are looking at a steel bumper that is very, very heavy. Don't want to make this jeep any heavier than it already is if I can avoid it. Are there any bumper options out there, that you can connect blue ox brackets to, aren't so heavy, and not so hard on the wallet?

2. Blue Ox base plate, installed right under the bumper - Really leaning this direction, but hate that it sits so low under the bumper, and vulnerable to a rock or something hitting it, as we do plan to do some off-roading now and then.

3. Currie Rock Jock tow bar mounting kit - This one replaces front air dam/chin under the bumper with a steel piece that has tow hooks incorporated into it, that tow bar would attach to. Like this one, too, and its definitely the least expensive, but questioning how strong it'd be, given the way it attaches. Its just bolted on top to the stock bumper, and on bottom to frame cross member. Doesn't bolt directly to frame rails like other ones do, so not sure if it'd be as solid. That, and the position of the tow hooks has me concerned it'd make the tow bar clevises rub up against bottom of the (stock) bumper.

Soooo, Jeep owners that flat tow: What recommendations do you have, as far as how to set it up for towing? Anything else I need to know? We pick up the Jeep Saturday (can't wait!), would like to have it ready to flat tow by April for upcoming trip to the beach, so need to start ordering stuff fairly soon.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")
15 REPLIES 15

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I doubt the Blue Ox base plate will be any lower than the differential is right now.