cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Nose Sleeper Trailer and SUV/Truck with shell

AHJ
Explorer
Explorer
Hi I am looking at a new trailer. Its the Nose sleeper from Weekend Warrior. Went and looked at one and the salesperson and I were discussing potential issues with a truck with a shell or SUV and tight turns. I have an excursion I want to tow with it.

These are the only pictures I could find on the net of one hooked to a truck and I cant see the ball mount used. To me looking at it unhooked on the lot was playing tricks on my mind. One angle I thought should be fine another I was like is this doable?

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

So I started to look at options to get the ball further away from my truck but still maintain the weight and it looks like a roll-a-hitch is the longest at 15" from receiver pin to ball and maintained 10000 lbs and a 1000 tongue weight.

Your opinions/suggestions greatly appreciated.

AJ
21 REPLIES 21

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I'm struggling to figure out what the advantage of this setup is. Regular TT or bumper pull toy hauler would give you a roomier bedroom area up front and more flexible storage and provide no issues with hitting the bed or cab. A fifth wheel would also be roomier and offer more storage, but also give you the fifth wheel benefits - better towing and shorter overall rig. This thing seems to give you the disadvantages of a fifth wheel without the advantages, while simultaneously not giving you the advantages of a comparable bumper pull TT/TH. It seems like lose-lose but maybe I'm overlooking something.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Bedlam
Torklift makes the 20k lb SuperHitch for the 1999-2005 Excursion, PN: F1006

http://www.torklift.com/index.php/products/towing/superhitch-receiver-hitches/superhitch-original-20...

Search for that part number and you should find it for under $600.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty sure that's a no-go. Look at the spring bar brackets. In a tight turn those will still not even as far back as your bumper will end up.

As far as hitch extensions... that's also a no-go in the Excursion since you can't swap receivers.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at the pics, I agree that a sharp turn and a truck shell would hit the trailer over-hang. This concept is not new however, they've just lowered the "cab over". In 1963 they were called "over hangs". Look at my profile (left), you'll see what I mean. Back then, they were much higher and did not interfere. The tow vehicle had plenty of room to navigate under the "overhang". With a shell on a pick-up truck and today's version, I think it's a nightmare in the works!

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
These extensions all have too much sloop for me and reduces the
leverage of any WD Hitch system

if me...toss the pickup bed for a flatbed with side slats just short
of where it would interfer when turning
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Bedlam
Torklift makes extensions for truck campers that should work for you. Up to 24" allows for 1400 lb TW and 14K lb GTW (28-48" extensions allow for 1200/12k). You will need the double receiver SuperHitch and double extension SuperTruss to get these ratings which will run you about $1k in parts.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

AHJ
Explorer
Explorer
Ok sorry about the pics I could not get them to link. I had to do some url links instead. Again whatever you can suggest or comment on greatly appreciated.

AJ