cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

P2 Controller Issue

phipps33
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a P2 brake controller used off eBay.

I have a question as to how it works when no trailer is attached. At first mine simply showed a screen with the 2 dots and would do nothing when the brakes were applied. If I moved the manual lever it would show NC. I believe this is how it is supposed to work.

Fast forward to this weekend. I pulled our camper to our local campground and all seemed to be working fine. Camper brakes worked great. I disconnected the camper and it started showing NC all the time except when you hit the brakes then it would show the 2 dots nothing else. When I shut the truck off and it sat it never went into low power mode.

Is my controller bad? I've double checked all the wiring at the controller, under the dash and at the rear connector. Everything looks good. I pulled the fuse and reinstalled it and it seems to functioning as before, but I haven't reconnected the camper yet.

Second question, when applying the brakes while driving how how should the displayed voltage to? Mine never got over 2-3 volts, most of the time it was 1.5-2. The trailer seemed to be braking fine and wasn't pushing the truck. I'm guessing I'm just not knowledgeable enough on how controllers work. My last one didn't have a display so I had no way of knowing output voltage.

I'm hoping you wise people can help me out with my questions.

Thanks,

Gary
Gary N8WSQ

Charlotte DW
Gary Lee DS
Kortney DD

1999 Chevy Silverado
2000 Sportsmen Ultralite 2303
13 REPLIES 13

phipps33
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies! I'll stop worrying about it.
Gary N8WSQ

Charlotte DW
Gary Lee DS
Kortney DD

1999 Chevy Silverado

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
phenrichs wrote:
Mine shows me different things on different days when it is not connected. I guess its mood changes with the weather. As long as it shows me what it is supposed to show me and behaves as expected when I am towing I don't worry. Some days it flashes the 2 dots and some days it flashes 2 dots and 2 dashes. Apparently the stupid thing isn't aware that I don't know Morse Code.
Yours is normal.
Happy Camping

Have you checked that the mounting angle is within specified range ?

phenrichs
Explorer
Explorer
Mine shows me different things on different days when it is not connected. I guess its mood changes with the weather. As long as it shows me what it is supposed to show me and behaves as expected when I am towing I don't worry. Some days it flashes the 2 dots and some days it flashes 2 dots and 2 dashes. Apparently the stupid thing isn't aware that I don't know Morse Code.
Yours is normal.
Happy Camping
2006 Ram 3500 Megacab Cummins
2012 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS

phipps33
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:

Yeah, you probably right, pulling the fuse caused it to do a hard reset and cleared things out.
Glad it's working right for you. I have been happy with mine, it works well for the three different trailers I pull with this truck.

I previously had a Tekonsha Voyager and was pleased with it. Heard great reviews about the P2. I really like my P2 so far. Very easy to set up especially with the prewired pigtails.
Gary N8WSQ

Charlotte DW
Gary Lee DS
Kortney DD

1999 Chevy Silverado

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
phipps33 wrote:
gmw photos wrote:
From the prodigy manual:
NC means:

Power to Prodigy without trailer connected. Displays for 15
seconds then changes to: ( dot, dot )

Mine wasn't doing that when I pulled the camper up and then disconnected. Went through everything to make sure it wasn't a wiring issue and pulled the fuse to "reset" it.

Pulled the camper home today and when I disconnected it was showing the 2 dots by the time I got back to the cab and checked.

It seems to be working fine now. Not sure what it was, maybe just a glitch.

Thanks for the responses and info!

Yeah, you probably right, pulling the fuse caused it to do a hard reset and cleared things out.
Glad it's working right for you. I have been happy with mine, it works well for the three different trailers I pull with this truck.

phipps33
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
From the prodigy manual:
NC means:

Mine wasn't doing that when I pulled the camper up and then disconnected. Went through everything to make sure it wasn't a wiring issue and pulled the fuse to "reset" it.

Pulled the camper home today and when I disconnected it was showing the 2 dots by the time I got back to the cab and checked.

It seems to be working fine now. Not sure what it was, maybe just a glitch.

Thanks for the responses and info!
Gary N8WSQ

Charlotte DW
Gary Lee DS
Kortney DD

1999 Chevy Silverado

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
From the prodigy manual:
NC means:

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The P2 display with NC means not connected. Your controller sounds like it is working fine. I'd suggest you put some tape over the display.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

phipps33
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:

I agree with what you are saying here. Mine works that way: if unplugged from the trailer, all I get is the two dots, and I do not get the NC ( not connected ) unless I pull the manual lever.
Mine goes off after shutting the truck off after about ten minutes. Unless I touch the brake pedal, as that is what wakes it up again.
Call teckonsha and ask them about it.

Your output voltage sounds about typical for normal braking. If you were to go into a full on panic stop, you will see higher voltages going to the trailer.

Thank you, I was looking for input from someone who has one. I am going to call Tekonsha after the holiday.

Even if the controller is shot, I won't be out too much. I got it for a good price.
Gary N8WSQ

Charlotte DW
Gary Lee DS
Kortney DD

1999 Chevy Silverado

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
phipps33 wrote:
I know what the dots mean and i know that is normal, but I have a manual and the way I read it when there is no trailer the NC should only light if I slide the manual brake control. Mine was showing NC all the time after I disconnected my trailer. And it did not turn off after more than 30min of sitting.

I pulled the fuse and put it back in and for now it is working right. I will see tomorrow after towing the trailer home if I start having the constant NC lit again.

I was hoping someone with this controller could tell me how their units acts.

I agree with what you are saying here. Mine works that way: if unplugged from the trailer, all I get is the two dots, and I do not get the NC ( not connected ) unless I pull the manual lever.
Mine goes off after shutting the truck off after about ten minutes. Unless I touch the brake pedal, as that is what wakes it up again.
Call teckonsha and ask them about it.

Your output voltage sounds about typical for normal braking. If you were to go into a full on panic stop, you will see higher voltages going to the trailer.

phipps33
Explorer
Explorer
I know what the dots mean and i know that is normal, but I have a manual and the way I read it when there is no trailer the NC should only light if I slide the manual brake control. Mine was showing NC all the time after I disconnected my trailer. And it did not turn off after more than 30min of sitting.

I pulled the fuse and put it back in and for now it is working right. I will see tomorrow after towing the trailer home if I start having the constant NC lit again.

I was hoping someone with this controller could tell me how their units acts.
Gary N8WSQ

Charlotte DW
Gary Lee DS
Kortney DD

1999 Chevy Silverado

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Your controller is working perfectly...the 2 "dots" are indicating that you have power and that you have the controller set to "boost 1."

Here is your manual....P2 Manual..LINK
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds normal to me. If you didn't get an owner's manual, one is probably available online. The controller will stay lit for a few minutes after the key is off.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL