cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

" . . contract positions available for bid" ?

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
Just because I find it interesting to read forums I normally do not, I have noticed something here that puzzles me. :@

In several postings by various entities, I have noticed the phrase, " . . . contract positions available for bid", or some similar wording. What does that mean? Are they trying to get the lowest "bidder" for a workcamping position? The one(s) who will do the job for the least amount of money?

If that is true, it just seems kinda weird to me that they don't have a set pay scale for a certain job.
:h

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

7 REPLIES 7

nancyjerry
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed, we are going back to ACOE (Army Corp of Engineers) this year. They do contract bids for the park attendants (at Cape Cod Canal). They do take the lowest bidder and yup, you get what you pay for, in most cases.
I don't understand it though. They wish some people would NOT come back, but if they are lowest, then they get the job.
We bid low, because we WANT the job/location, NOT the $$. It is a dream location for us and cannot understand others who complain, but keep coming back!! Jeez.

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
irishgypsy wrote:
I'm wondering how does one get an idea of what amount to submit? I'm new to this.

Contact the person listed on the bid and request an abstract of the current contract's bid prices. Those prices are public information and must be furnished to you prior to the bid opening for the new contract.

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
You also need to be very careful on your bid. Many times you must pay for supplies, expenses such as fuel, use your vehicle, etc.
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

irishgypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm wondering how does one get an idea of what amount to submit? I'm new to this.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks wrote:
However I have found the low bidder is not always the best choice. Never make a decision based solely on the lowest bid.

Yep, sometimes you get exactly what you pay for...

SCR
Explorer
Explorer
Most if not all the positions posted for bid are by the US Army Corps of Engineers for Park Attendant contracts. As an independent contractor you are not directly employed by the Corps of Engineers so there is no set pay scale.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
If that is true, it just seems kinda weird to me that they don't have a set pay scale for a certain job.
Not at all weird to me. It's no different than a individual or company hiring the lowest bid contractor to do a particular job.

However I have found the low bidder is not always the best choice. Never make a decision based solely on the lowest bid.