cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Readybrake Sling Adapter Frays Cord?

rldunn
Explorer
Explorer
I just switched my toad from a 2011 Escape to a 2015 JKUR Wrangler. At the same time, I switched from Brake Buddy to Readybrake. I have Blue Ox towbars that I was planning on still using.

Here's my situation: Installed everything on the Jeep, which went smoothly. Yesterday, I installed the section that goes on the tow bar, including the Sling Adapter so the Readybrake cord doesn't get caught in the Blue Ox mechanism. Installation on this part was also smooth, but when I road-tested it, the sling mechanism turns slightly as the pivot point on the Blue Ox turns, making the holes on the sling adapter slightly askew. This resulted in some fraying of the cable running through the sling adapter. To be accurate, the "fraying" is mainly a stripping of the black insulation around the actual cable.

Questions:

- Is anyone else using the Sling Adapter? A quick search on this site and elsewhere didn't find much mention of it.

- If someone is using the Sling Adapter, did it cause any problems?
2011 Four Winds Hurricane 34B
2015 JKUR Jeep Wrangler toad
4 REPLIES 4

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
rldunn wrote:
Billinwoodland wrote:

I have the same set up. The coating on the outside of my cable rubbed off but the cable did not fray. I was going to insert a plastic tube in mine before the next trip. I have also been meaning to call NSA about it, just have not got around to it.

I called and spoke with NSA today about this. They said the coating is on there purely for cosmetic reasons, and this stripping/fraying that I described is perfectly normal. So, it sounds like it's not an issues. I thought about drilling out the holes on the sling adapter to reduce the problem, but I might not bother now.

How do you store your bars/cables when not towing? I'm used to just pushing the tow bars up and over and leave them on the back of the rig when not in use, but this is impossible with the sling adapter on. I don't want to have to keep taking it off and putting it on, but I might have to - is that what you do?

My MH is stored on a buddies ranch. When not in use, I take it off and store it in my garage. When on the road, I have locking hitch pins then use a bungy cord to the ladder to keep the tow bar out of the way when the toad is unhooked. Works fine.
Bill
2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd

rldunn
Explorer
Explorer
Billinwoodland wrote:

I have the same set up. The coating on the outside of my cable rubbed off but the cable did not fray. I was going to insert a plastic tube in mine before the next trip. I have also been meaning to call NSA about it, just have not got around to it.

I called and spoke with NSA today about this. They said the coating is on there purely for cosmetic reasons, and this stripping/fraying that I described is perfectly normal. So, it sounds like it's not an issues. I thought about drilling out the holes on the sling adapter to reduce the problem, but I might not bother now.

How do you store your bars/cables when not towing? I'm used to just pushing the tow bars up and over and leave them on the back of the rig when not in use, but this is impossible with the sling adapter on. I don't want to have to keep taking it off and putting it on, but I might have to - is that what you do?
2011 Four Winds Hurricane 34B
2015 JKUR Jeep Wrangler toad

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
rldunn wrote:
I just switched my toad from a 2011 Escape to a 2015 JKUR Wrangler. At the same time, I switched from Brake Buddy to Readybrake. I have Blue Ox towbars that I was planning on still using.

Here's my situation: Installed everything on the Jeep, which went smoothly. Yesterday, I installed the section that goes on the tow bar, including the Sling Adapter so the Readybrake cord doesn't get caught in the Blue Ox mechanism. Installation on this part was also smooth, but when I road-tested it, the sling mechanism turns slightly as the pivot point on the Blue Ox turns, making the holes on the sling adapter slightly askew. This resulted in some fraying of the cable running through the sling adapter. To be accurate, the "fraying" is mainly a stripping of the black insulation around the actual cable.

Questions:

- Is anyone else using the Sling Adapter? A quick search on this site and elsewhere didn't find much mention of it.

- If someone is using the Sling Adapter, did it cause any problems?

2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd

ronfisherman
My neighbor has a similar setup. But he made his own using a larger diameter adapter. Then putting a piece of the cable cover used on the cable that goes on car side.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD