cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Round Bar weight distribution hitch help please

Copper_Penny
Explorer
Explorer
ok bear with me here while i try to explain this.

i have a Husky Round Bar distribution hitch and my last trailer had a tongue weight of 400lbs and a GVWR of 5500lbs and i had round bars good for a rating of 400 - 600 lbs tongue weight and 6000lbs gross trailer weight, so it was the perfect setup.
ok now we have changed trailers and this one has a tongue weight of 589lbs and a GVWR of 6300lbs so i wanted to get the round bars with a rating of 501 - 800lbs tongue weight and 8000lbs gross trailer weight but here is the problem the dealer did not have those bars so they gave me the ones good for 801 - 1200 lbs and a GVWR of 12,000 lbs.
now i think this a little overkill and i was wondering if with the hitch weight i have and the gross of my trailer only being 6300 lbs should i get the proper bars or does it really matter or not at all. will the weight distribution hitch work properly either way.

Please everyone chime in here as i am totally confused as to whether i should get the proper bars that would be the perfect match for this trailer.
the dealer told me it would not make a difference at all and i have room if i move to a heavier trailer, i would like to know if he was just yanking my chain so to speak.

anxiously awaiting your replies.

Trailer in my signature is the old one.

Denis, Linda, Jennifer & Monte (Shih-Poo)

2010 Ford F-150 Lariat,6.5'box,4WD,5.4L, Max tow package,3.73 Gears,11,100 tow capacity.
2007 Kodiak 21QS Queen Bed solid rear slide,4000lbs,gvwr 6000lbs
Husky Weight Distribution Hitch.
6 REPLIES 6

skinnyme
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer has a tongue weight of 650lbs. I have 2 sets of round bars. 600lb. and 1000lb. I prefer to tow with the 1000lb bars.

Copper_Penny
Explorer
Explorer
Tow vehicle is
2010 Ford F-150 Lariat,6.5'box,4WD,5.4L, Max tow package,3.73 Gears,11,100 tow capacity.
my truck tows this trailer with no problems at all, it is far from being maxed out.

Stormpeakco
Explorer
Explorer
twodownzero-good point (agree).
IMO, it is better to have bars that have some additional headroom rather than undersizing.
We tend to over pack (including two honda 2000s in the TV-most of the weight is anterior to the rear axle) and weight in the TV behind the rear axle contribute to the tongue weight.
Seems likely, after packing (TV and TT), fill the fuel tank of the TV, fill the propane tanks and partially/totally fill the water tank, the tongue weight will exceed 800#.

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of tow vehicle are you using? The bars will probably be fine, but if your tow vehicle is on the ragged edge of its rating, I'd want the absolute best equipment.

Copper_Penny
Explorer
Explorer
i am just going by the empty weights of both trailers, i do not know what the exact weights of either trailer is loaded but with the figures i am using as you can see that the bars would be a perfect match in that range.

the question i have is are my bars rated for 801 - 1200 lbs good to use with the hitch weight of just 589 lbs?

as in your case it is overkill but you have no issues with it.

Stormpeakco
Explorer
Explorer
from your past trailer experience, can you extrapolate to the loaded tongue and trailer weight of your new unit?

also, etrailer has some great prices (including shipping) on new products but seems you may just purchase some new round bars (should you find it necessary).
(fyi- we have the Pro Series RB3 WDH w/ 750# bars even though the dry tongue weight is way under 500#....no issues hooking up, round bar position relative to the ground or with Dodge Durango (w/ tow package) posture-loaded or unloaded.