Did you mean:ย 

Setting up 2016 Jeep JKU for flat towing

NAUTIQUE
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys,
I've got myself a new MH & a new jeep. :B
2012 Winnie Vista 35F & 2016 Jeep Wrangler JKU
Getting ready to set it up for flat towing.
Looking for recommendations on what you used to set-up lights on the Jeep.
Thanks!
Our Portable Summer Cottage II : 2000 GBM LANDAU - 99 F53 chassis
Tweaked w/: Allure floor, Sumitomo ST718's, Bilstein's, Steer-Safe, UltraTrac rear trac bar, CHF & Poly Bushings. Pulling a 97 Jeep TJ- Pics & Mods * GBM Thread * F53 Thread
LIFE IS GOOD! :C
8 REPLIES 8

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you have the plug and play option on the lights! That is why I went with the magnetic style, as I didn't have the plug in option.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it's available get the plug and play light harness. On my Explorer they don't offer one so I had to get a universal kit with the diodes. Took a bit longer but it works great!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
im using the Hopkins harness omg so easy. on my old 01 wrangler added bulbs into the existing housing and then even tried the magnetic ones
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

NAUTIQUE
Explorer
Explorer
TJDave wrote:
Look at the Hopkins tow harness for JKs. I had one on my 2016 Sport. Plug and play into the rear taillight outlets. Run the 4 wire to the front of the Jeep. Easy. Workes like a champ.

Thanks TJDave!
I think that's the first step I was looking for!

Then on tp trying to decide on brake system.
Years ago when I set-up my TJ I bought a used Blue Ox tow bar & ReadyBrake (?), but I never used the brake with my old MH/TJ.
So it's buried somewhere in my garage - gotta check it all out this weekend.
Tweaked w/: Allure floor, Sumitomo ST718's, Bilstein's, Steer-Safe, UltraTrac rear trac bar, CHF & Poly Bushings. Pulling a 97 Jeep TJ- Pics & Mods * GBM Thread * F53 Thread

TJDave
Explorer
Explorer
This one.

Part #56200 $47.00 on Amazon
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32sa
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Maximus-3, Blue Ox, RVi3, Cooltech

TJDave
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the Hopkins tow harness for JKs. I had one on my 2016 Sport. Plug and play into the rear taillight outlets. Run the 4 wire to the front of the Jeep. Easy. Workes like a champ.
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32sa
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Maximus-3, Blue Ox, RVi3, Cooltech

NAUTIQUE
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Mleekamp!
I had separate lights on my 97 TJ, but from what I'm seeing, on the newer JKU's, I believe they have some easy looking "plug & play" kits.

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
I also tow a Jeep -- a 2000 TJ model. You asked about lights, and I choose to do a magnetic light kit from etrailer. I prefered not to splice into the wiring, as these allowed me to wire to the front 6 pin connector I put on my Jeep.

When I hit the brakes on the motorhome, not only do these magnetic lights light up, but my Invisibrake activates. When not in use, I move the lights to the inside of the Jeep behind back seat.

Check out etrailer (i'm an actual customer!) and give their tech's a call -- they are really good an giving you options, and yes, there are many for Jeeps between tow bars, braking systems, and lights. I installed my system myself over the course of 2 weekends, and yes, it was daunting at first. But logical. Or, you can have it all installed.

Lastly, I used the Curt tow bar that mounted right to my front bumper. Might not work on your JKU. Reason I went with it is price. I have towed over 4,500 miles so far and all is well with the bar.

I used TL21RK lights. Link to all lights below.
etrailer tow lights

I used RM-8700 roadmaster invisibrake. Link to all brake systems below.
etrailer Braking systems

I used Curt C19745 model tow bar. Link to all tow bars below.
etrailer Tow Bars