cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Spare Tire cover

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
I have noticed lately that the replacement spare tire cover I bought seems to stay wet on the inside after a big rain. If I get heavy rain, it seems to get inside it from the back and pool at the bottom leaving the underside of the tire constantly wet. I know the jury is out on the overall effectiveness on Tire Covers, so I am considering just leaving the cover off as I am betting constant dampness is far worse for the rubber than occasional sun.
I am sure this will be just as controversial as WIFI in campgrounds but I am curious about opinions, keep the cover on, stop using it, try to find a better design???
Thanks
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com
5 REPLIES 5

Tin_Pusher
Explorer II
Explorer II
My cover has a hemmed split at the at the edge. Guess where it gets placed? At the bottom ๐Ÿ™‚
Tin Pusher's Guide To Successful RV'ing: "Don't get mad, don't get in a hurry"

2002 1500HD
2002 Wilderness 265H
1997 Seadoo GTI
1952 Wife;)

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Never heard of water damaging a tire,

maybe put 2-3 plastic grommets in the bottom of the cover for drainage
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I took my entire tire off my TT bumper and carry it in the back of my pick-up. Reason? 1st, I've NEVER had to use the spare. 2nd, my camper came with a mounted 1 1/2 inch hitch, so purchased a carrier for the back to carry extra hoses (sewer and water). No room for the tire mount now. 3rd, I lost my tire cover on my last trailer, blew off in the wind or stolen. Who knows? But never replaced it. If it caused undue stress on the spare tire, I never knew it, since it never was taken off the bumper in 8 years!

My opinion? Cover the tire. It looks nicer. But get a cover with the open bottom like you use on the tires on the ground, and tie up the two eyelets real snug.

Sluggo54
Explorer
Explorer
Clip it where the water pools and let it drain.
DH = Bruce, DW = PK, DD = Maggie (Lab, Pointer, Viszla)RIP 4/13/2007
Apprentice Princess = Kaia Grace (Kelpie, RIP 8/4/2016) DD = Zoey, Carolina Dog
TV = 2005 Chev CC LWB Max & Allie SOLD
5'er = 2005 Excel R30CKW DEAL PENDING

Tango__AE7UI
Explorer
Explorer
The tire covers don't seem to last too long in our Utah sun but,
they do keep the rays off the tire.
We have to replace it every 2- 3 years.
2007 Tango 2660RKS Fifth Wheel, 2006 Chevy D/A 3500 with service body,