cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

To Upgrade TV or Not

humblerb
Explorer
Explorer
An old friend sent me a message telling me he bought a TT about a month ago. It is his first TT. He is towing with a 2013 Expedition. I think he said it is 5600# Dry and about 6200# loaded.
He asked me if I thought he would notice an appreciable difference in the towing experience by upgrading the TV to a GM 1500 pickup.
He said the Expedition was a little squishy and it wiggles.
He doesn't want to spend the money for a new truck for very little different towing experience.
I told him I didn't think he would notice a large difference, as long as his Expedition is in good mechanical condition.
He is a bit of a car guy, so he takes care of cars.
He put Bilsteins on a year ago.
I pointed him to this forum to check his hitch setup.
He has an Equalizer hitch.
Told him proper set up will alleviate a lot of issues.
If his set up is good, probably won't notice much difference by going to a 1/2 ton pickup would he?
17 REPLIES 17

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
The squishyness is probably him being over payload. He needs to know his payload capacity, and tongue weight, and how much will be loaded in the Expy.

If you got to a 1500, a 2500 is not much more.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hard to say on the difference, not knowing what GM 1500? Obviously all 1/2 tons are not the same, some much more capable than others. The late model Fords with max tow would be a noticeable step up, and some GMs too.

Jerry

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wheelbase difference between my 2015 Tahoe at 116 inches and Silveradoโ€™s 147 made a big difference in towing particularly when 18 wheelers pass me. Miss the tight turning ability of the Tahoe however. Change from a 6 to a 10 speed transmission is great.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad