cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toad on a Dolly

bsheet2
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. 1st Class A motor home coming soon. Need to get my car set up to tow on a dolly with surge brakes. I think I would rather flat tow. But the wife is suddenly getting frugal and wants try towing with a dolly. Easy for her to say!

RV >> Thor Challenger 37YT
Car >> 2014 Honda CRV
Tow dolly has surge brakes.

So, I want to pre-wire the CRV to use brake lights, turn signals, etc and not use the lights on the dolly when towing.

Also I want to charge the CRV battery from the RV power when towing.

Would like to use the RV 7 pin connector with a cable that plugs in to a socket on the front of the CRV. Only 1 cable if possible. I was told that the RV 7 pin connector is prewired with a 12 volt hot wire that could be used to charge the car battery.

So, what parts do I need?

Can this be done?

Is this posted in the right place???

Thanks!
22 REPLIES 22

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Easiest solution is magnetic lights, attach and plug into MH. Next is to mount plug on car front and run 4 wires to the back installing extra bulbs for the lights. Plus the wire and plugs from MH to car. Or use the existing car lights installing diodes in the taillights to isolate the MH power and car power. You may also need a small isolator in the MH convert from separate brake and turn lights to the common brake/turn car light. Diagrams and kits are available online.

Why do you want a charge line? It's not needed for dolly towing.

For a charge line use a 6 connector cable MH to car with larger ground and charge line wires. ie For charging. 3 wires for the lights plus the ground. Ground and charge line for the battery with fuse. This leaves a spare wire.

For my non dolly toad the spare wire connects the toad brake lights to a cab light so that I know when the toad brakes are/are not applied.

Dolly towing is generally more useful for multiple different cars. Suggest you have DW deal with the car for towing or at least she provide significant help. Then you will both be able to determine any possible future changes.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
3,400 for base plate and mounting is just crazy buy the plate and mount it your self for 500.00 or just take the plate to a local garage to mount it. Check E Bay for you part you will be amazed.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
I have put many miles on while towing using a tow dolly, 4 down and on a trailer.

All three towed acceptably. It was when we stopped to camp that it could become a PITA.

The trailer Was The worst as far as far as time and hassle factor when camping.

Tow dolly second.

4down was by far the most convenient method.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

Y-Guy
bsheet2 It sounds like you've made your mind up since you already ordered your dolly.

I'm not sure exactly why you want to wire up your vehicle instead of using the dolly lights. IMHO the easiest if you really want lights on the back of your vehicle is to check out the magnetic lights you can buy at Harbor Freight. If not then you will need to buy and install some wiring kits or have them installed for you. eTrailer.com is a good place to get the parts you need.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
My son started with a dolly and DID NOT LIKE IT. I've always flat towed and now he is and we both favor it a lot. Problem- the pool of vehicles you can flat tow with an auto trans is really shrinking.
Jayco-noslide

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have a forum specifically for dinghy towing. I think you will have better response in that forum. I will move this one there. Good luck.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

bsheet2
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, the CRV is front wheel drive.

Regarding cost. I got a quote of $3400 to install the base plate, all wiring and provide the tow bar for flat towing. Then would have to purchase the braking system. So I figure at least $4000 for flat towing.

I just ordered a dolly with surge brakes for $1900 (delivered). So now all I need is wiring for the CRV.

Did I miss something??

Thanks!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I think you are going to spend about the same amount of dollars using a tow dolly as setting up for flat towing. You did not say which drive your CRV has. Look at this website to verify towing. Remco

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker