cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing 2020 Chevy Colorado

Navy_Smoker
Explorer
Explorer
I'm transitioning from a 2006 Jeep Liberty to a new Colorado (4WD). Reading the Owner's Manual I believe both the transfer case and transmission must be in Neutral to tow 4down. Is this correct? )The Liberty was transfer case in Neutral and transmission in Park.) No-one at the dealership is comfortable answering this question so I need help from other owners.

Thanks,

Bill
Bill (CDR, USN (Ret))& Kathleen (retired homemaker)
Mingo & Maverick (Aussie Shepherds)
2016 Winnebago Vista
Competition BBQ Team Leader
10 REPLIES 10

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
If you fail to turn key to accessory before putting into park some gears will speak to you.

5. With the transmission in D (Drive), turn the ignition to ACC/ACCESSORY. (thanks gb7608)
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

gb76087
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot to mention, I'm towing a 2015 GM Canyon.
2007 Fleeteood TERRA LX 34N
F53, 362hp V10

gb76087
Explorer
Explorer
These are the steps I take:

Follow these steps to dinghy tow:

1. Position the vehicle being towed behind the tow vehicle, facing forward and on a level surface.
2. Securely attach the vehicle being towed to the tow vehicle.
3. Apply the parking brake and start the engine.
4. Shift the transfer case to N (Neutral). Check that the vehicle is in N (Neutral) by shifting the transmission to R (Reverse) and then to D (Drive). There should be no movement of the vehicle while shifting.
5. With the transmission in D (Drive), turn the ignition to ACC/ACCESSORY.
6. Disconnect the negative battery cable at the battery and secure the nut and bolt.
7. Shift the transmission to P (Park).
8. Move the steering wheel to make sure the steering column is unlocked.
9. Release the parking brake.
10. Keep the ignition key in the towed vehicle in ACC/ACCESSORY to prevent the steering column from locking.
2007 Fleeteood TERRA LX 34N
F53, 362hp V10

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
You put the transmission in park after you get the transfer case in neutral. I go to drive to make sure the TC is in neutral. I turn the key off and go to park with the transmission as it will grind into park with the engine turning. I then lift the negative post on the battery. Just like the manual says in my '17.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

Y-Guy
Bill, I can't help with the directions. But if your own service manager isn't comfortable he/she should be contacting GM direct for clarification. That sure doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling. You might also try calling see if they can assist you, as well as provide clear written directions, so you have the back up for warranty coverage.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Navy_Smoker
Explorer
Explorer
There are 2 separate sections in the owner's manual. The section on recreational towing says leave the transfer case and transmission in Neutral but also says to follow the directions for putting the transfer case in Neutral says to place the transmission in Park once it (transfer case) is in Neutral. I'm fairly sure I should leave the transmission in Neutral but don't want to invalidate the warranty.

I'm looking for answers from owners of Chevy Colorados or GM Canyons that tow 4down. Telling me to follow an ambiguous manual that the dealer Service Manage isn't sure about doesn't help
Bill (CDR, USN (Ret))& Kathleen (retired homemaker)
Mingo & Maverick (Aussie Shepherds)
2016 Winnebago Vista
Competition BBQ Team Leader

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
If the owner's manual states what to do, that's what you do.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Follow the advice in the owners manual. That's what it's in the glove box for.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œso I need help from other ownersโ€

Why would Chevrolet misstate in writing how their vehicle should be towed four down?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
why don't you believe the owner's manual?
bumpy