cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing Chevy Silverado

JCat
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a 2014 Tahoe currently and setting it up to tow is very easy and once complete the ignition is turned off and key removed.

I am thinking about getting a Silverado to tow so I can load my motorcycle in the back. When I looked at the instructions on how to setup for towing it stated to disconnect the battery cable and leave the keys in the ignition.

I'm wondering why this is needed and if the battery is disconnected how to I power on and use my brake buddy ?
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP
3 REPLIES 3

danmarken1
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 2017 GMC Sierra Denali 1500. Unhooking the negative battery terminal is to disable steering electronics, leaving key in ignition in "ON" is to free steering wheel. I installed aux battery that I charge via a battery charge and made a "pigtail" connection that I run underhood and through door to plug in brake buddy.
Frequent Flyer

JCat
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am looking at the silverado 1500
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP

CC38EL
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not knowing which Silverado I assume that the key in ignition is to unlock the steering wheel. Your Tahoe, like my SRX doesn't have an interlock.

There may also be a way to put a cigarette outlet right off the battery to power your braking system. I did one inside the engine compartment, then ran my power cord out the door, then under the hood.
Jim
2019 Coachmen Mirada Select 37LS