cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing with a 2015 Ram 2500 with air leveling

1hammerdown
Explorer
Explorer
When towing a travel trailer with a 2500 Ram with air leveling and a weight distribution hitch what mode do you use for the air leveling suspension? I am looking at a tongue heavy toy hauler (1800 lbs) and
Blue Ox told me to set the suspension at the lowest level which would be travel mode. Any thoughts and experience.
2 REPLIES 2

Ron_Gratz
Explorer
Explorer
Manufacturer's instructions for attaching a trailer to a RAM truck with air suspension can be found on Pages 647&648 of the online 2015 RAM Truck 1500/2500/3500 Owner's Manual.

All Other 1500(Non-Air Suspension)/2500/3500 Trucks

1. Position the truck to be ready to connect to the trailer (do not connect the trailer).
NOTE: For Ram 2500/3500 trucks equipped with rear air suspension, normal ride height or alternate ride height can be used. The vehicle must remain in the engine running position while attaching a trailer for proper leveling of the air suspension system. It may not be possible to enter alternate ride height while lightly loaded.
2. Measure the height of the top of the front wheel opening on the fender to ground, this is height H1.
3. Attach the trailer to the vehicle without the weight distribution bars connected.
4. Measure the height of the top of the front wheel opening on the fender to ground, this is height H2.
5. Install and adjust the tension in the weight distributing bars so that the height of the front fender is approximately (H2-H1)/2+H1 (about 1/2 the difference between H2 and H1 above normal ride height H1).

Measurement Example
Example 2500/3500
Height (mm)
H1=1030
H2=1058
H2-H1=28
(H2-H1)/2=14
((H2-H1)/2)+H1=1044
NOTE: For all towing conditions, we recommend towing with tow haul mode engaged.
(Underline added for emphasis)

Ron

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
Turn the auto leveling off then hooking up the trailer using your WDH getting everything level. As long as you haven't exceed your max cargo weight everything will work fine. This is how I hooked up to my 2014 Ram with four point auto leveling. Your truck manual will also tell you to do this while hooking up the trailer.
2014 Heartland Wildness 2775RB, 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 Mega Cab