cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing with a Four Runner

RRTom
Explorer
Explorer
My step daughter bought a 2018 Toyota Four Runner. Now she is looking for a small trailer. The info I found on the Four Runner says if "properly equipped" the towing capacity is 5000 LB. When you deduct for any thing carried in the trailer, it seems like it would have to be an awfully small trailer.

Any thoughts on "properly equipped" or a small trailer that might work?
2020 Georgetown GT 31LS
6 REPLIES 6

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Gross 4500, hitch 550, dry 3852, 19 feet, Airstream 19cb towed by 2012 4Runner. Be aware the hitch on 6 cyl 4Runners are NOT weight distribution compatible as the are not tied to the frame. To use WD have a Lexus hitch installed, as it attaches to the frame rails. The 4Runner pulled the above just fine without WD. Towing capacity 5000 pounds.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
A dry trailer weighing no more than 3500 pounds should work.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
If the 4Runner came with a factory hitch receiver, the max hitch weight might be stamped on it. Otherwise check the owner's manual.

My '08 Lexus GX470 has a 6500 lb tow capacity, and 900-some lbs max tongue weight if a WD hitch is used. So even though max tongue weight is usually 10% of the tow rating on most vehicles, it isn't always so.

I'd suggest she look for a trailer under 24' long and under 3500 lbs dry weight. For some really light, easy to tow trailers with less frontal area, look at Scamp, Casita, and similar.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Our previous travel trailer was a Rockwood 2502. 25', no slide, 3995 lbs UVW. We used an Equalizer weight distributing hitch, and towed it with a 2005 Nissan Xterra, which had a 5000 lb towing limit.

The W/D hitch kept the trailer/tow vehicle level (see pics below), and prevented hobby-horsing and greatly limited any sway due to cross winds or large trucks passing nearby.

I towed with this setup for 4 years, and it worked very well. It had no problem handling the added weight with the 4.0L engine.

Properly equipped: W/D hitch, brake controller, transmission cooler if not already equipped, etc.

FWIW, we have a 2017 4Runner TRD Pro. I wouldn't hesitate to pull the same travel trailer with an equivalent setup to the one we used with the Nissan.
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

RRTom
Explorer
Explorer
twodownzero wrote:
There are lightweight single axle trailers that'd probably be fine. What's the payload though? Tongue weight is a concern.

How do I determine payload and tongue weight?
2020 Georgetown GT 31LS

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
There are lightweight single axle trailers that'd probably be fine. What's the payload though? Tongue weight is a concern.